PDA

View Full Version : Task: allow only one ip address to see your share via samba

the-mk
10-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Problem:
- computer a and computer b are on the same network
- computer a has Windows XP running, computer b some kind of linux (in my case mandriva)
- network is XDSL-modem with 4 ports
- both computers can be seen in internet
- computer b shall only provide computer a with an samba "windows" share, for all the other computers in the internet it is not allowed to see this share!!

Internet
^
|
v
XDSL-Router/Switch/Gateway
^ ^
| |
v v
computer a computer b

Is it possible with just configuring samba or do I need to do something with iptables, etc... too? Can it be done with standard mandrake firewall?

It is not possible to put them behind SOHO-routers like Linksys or Netgear and portforward the necessary ports, because some ports (i.e. http) are needed by both computers)

Advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

alpha
10-13-2006, 05:28 AM
According to the example smb.conf you can do this:

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

If I'm understanding what you want to do, this should do it for you. The option is well documented in the smb.conf man page, it is quite flexible.

Bok
10-13-2006, 07:03 AM
What are the ip addresses of the two machines?

If they are private ip addresses and the router has the public ip address then it shouldn't matter anyway..

Bok

the-mk
10-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Alpha,

this "hosts allow" parameter looks good to me, I need to test that next time when I'm on this computer! :thumbs:

Bok,

those two machines do have official IP-addresses! If they would be behind a SOHO router I would not be concerned about security :D

Thanks! :cheers:

the-mk
10-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Found some time to test that: hosts allow is working great!
Thanks!
:cheers:

Bok
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Is there any reason not to have the router as the only public ip address?

It's a much safer way to have the network.

Bok

the-mk
10-14-2006, 12:11 PM
My problem is that this device is coming from my ISP and I can not configure it. :(

Bok
10-14-2006, 01:05 PM
You could put another router in between that one and your PC's..

Bok

the-mk
10-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks Bok, I'll consider that...

Another SAMBA question: who of you has running a configuration, where user have to authenticate before seeing a share? Could you share your entries of smb.conf and other configuration files?

current /etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = Workgroup
netbios name = myserver
server string = Samba Server %v

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 , xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy , zzz.zzz.zzz.zzzz

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
guest account = nobody
map to guest = bad user

socket options = SO_KEEP_ALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no

[test$]
path = /tmp
writable = yes
public = yes

That configuration is asking some workstations to authenticate when accessing \\myserver\test$, some workstations can't access them :confused: (one is Win XP german in workgroup "Arbeitsgruppe" in WAN [xxx], one is Win XP english in workgroup "Workgroup" in LAN [yyy], one is Win XP english in domain in WAN [zzz]; currently only the german one can access)

Is it possible to make a user that does not exist in operating system (/etc/passwd) accessing a samba share?

If not, what kind of password is used when accessing samba? There is another file /etc/samba/smbpasswd, which is currently empty on my linux box...

If I do "smbpasswd" with a user, which is entered in /etc/samba/smbusers, it tells me that I can't do it, because such a user does not exist.

Current samba version used is 3.0.20 coming with mandriva linux.

Do you have ideas how to do this or why two workstations can't access "test$" share, while one can do it?

Is it possible to allow only one user to access this "test$" share?

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

:cheers:

the-mk
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I found a nice link on http://www.oreilly.de/german/freebooks/samba2ger/ (content is in german language) where I could iron all issues out with samba server :D

If you know the options of samba, it is a great tool! But it took some time until I found this great online book, which showed me this options :D

It's just a little bad sad, that the examples are for samba 2.x while I use samba 3x. :(