PDA

View Full Version : Blocking MAC Addresses

DesertFolk
10-25-2006, 07:45 AM
What is the best way to block the MAC addresses of computers that I do not want to obtain IP addresses from my DHCP server? I have a wired network; no wireless.

I have Windows Server 2003 running DHCP, and I am using a Cisco Router and Cisco switches.

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
What is the best way to block the MAC addresses of computers that I do not want to obtain IP addresses from my DHCP server? I have a wired network; no wireless.

I have Windows Server 2003 running DHCP, and I am using a Cisco Router and Cisco switches.
hmm not sure on the cisco stuff but isn't there somewhere on them that lists attached devices by MAC all you do is attach all the devices you want to be given IP's (static or dynamic) and then tick all the boxes and enable "MAC locking" or whatever it's called I've seen it done on wireless Im sure wired you can do the same.

DesertFolk
10-26-2006, 01:36 AM
I have over 500 computers connecting to the network at various times and in various places. I would never be able to get a complete list and keep it up to date. Personnel rotate in and out constantly and need to be able to plug their work computers in, but I am attempting to block their personal computers from accessing the network. I have seen 20 to 25 machines that do not belong on the network, and I think it should be fairly easy enough to block them, probably by MAC Address.

LAURENU2
10-26-2006, 01:55 AM
Perhaps this might help
http://bmonday.com/archive/2005/06/13/2494.aspx