PDA

View Full Version : Remote Client Monitoring

MashRinx
07-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Hey Guys,

I'll proabably try to be a little more social around here, since work is become a little less crazy. :cheers:

Anyway, I'm wondering what everyone uses to remotely monitor their Dist Fold work around here? I'm using all Windows boxes, so any Linux only solutions wont really work for me....

I'm using KDFold, but having an issue with getting it to attach to "admin" shares, so I can't monitor my boxes at work yet. Below is a copy of a message I posted in the KDFold forum earlier this morning. Any help, suggestions, feedback would be great!

Mash

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm using KDFold and really appreciate it. Thanks. It works great at home, but I'm having a challenge at work I'm hoping I can get help with:

I'm trying to connect to the "\Distributed Folding" folders on remote machines through administrative/hidden shares and can't seen to make it work. What I'm trying to do is manually type in the full path for the folder into the "File Path" field, but can only enter about 15 characters before it won't let me type further.

It seems as though KDFold is built with easy "Open File" Dialog" interface, but that doesn't work for what I'm trying to do. So I have several related questions:

- Is there a way to change KDFold so that you can either use the File -> Open Dialog to select the correct path, OR allow the user to enter it directly into the text box?

- Is there a better way to connect to an admin share then what I'm trying to do? (NOTE: Actually mapping a drive letter to each admin share is not an option).

I need to be able to connect to a drive like the sample below:

\\TestBox\c$\DistComp\DistribFold\

Thanks,

MashRinx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dyyryath
07-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Hey Mash, it's good to see you around a little more!

I've not used KDFold, but it looks pretty good. I have, however, considered writing something for myself that would let me watch (and automatically restart) my clients on both Windows and Linux. I'd need to use the admin shares as well, so that would obviously be part of the plan from the beginning.

If they can't get you going with KDFold, let me know and I'll try to find a little time to take a stab at the problem myself.

Paratima
07-12-2002, 12:30 PM
Hi, MashRinx. I have the same problem with admin shares. When I get a user's permission to borg in, I also set up a general-purpose share on the DistFold directory. I use KDFold for checking on progress/seeing if the clients are running, only.

To stop the program remotely, I fire up Jeff's great dfGUI. Unfortunately, I can't use it to restart the program or start an upload. There is a permissions thing I haven't had time to research. All our work boxen are NT or W2K.

Heh. I also use dfGUI if I need a closer estimate on when a particular box will upload.

MashRinx
07-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Robert posted the following reply on the PlasticStudios.org Support Forum. I set up using this new client and it worked great.... Just FYI...

Mash

-------------------------------------------------------

I understand, You can type your own paths in. This is a bug that was introduced when I upgraded my visual components. Here is a patched EXE and I will get one posted for all to download shortly.

http://www.plasticstudios.org/winkdfoldv40b5.zip

Robert-