PDA

View Full Version : The Cows are being devious

Fozzie
11-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Had a little look at the DPC forums, as you do, and I'm not sure if I get it right but I think they feel they can pull our focus off Sob due to their push in Rosetta. In the meantime they may have offline crunchers readying a Cow like :dump: to regain their position at number 2 here.

Might be a load of methane but who knows.

I'll be keeping most of my paltry power here for now with the home boxen over on Rosetta.

:confused:

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
hey foz, you need more boxen!:rotfl: :lmao:

:Pokes:

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Don't worry Fozzie, I got the cows covered.. I'll just drop the power to the Netherlands :rotfl:

LAURENU2
11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Might be a load of methane but who knows.

Well cows do fart Alot :fart:

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-18-2006, 10:03 AM
well this project is only a hobby

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11837

so let them have second place, and switch to rosetta!!!

:Pokes: :Pokes:

boy do i ever feel like i wasted cycles!!!

CaptainMooseInc
11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I disagree with you heavily Helix.

Most DC projects are (when boiled down) "just a hobby". DC computing would be nothing right now if it were only feasable to convince people to run programs so the person who owns the project can in the end make money.

I think most of the SoB users that were lashing out were just wanting to see SOME sort of board trolling from the Admins of the project and got down-hearted. The client may need some upgrades but it generally works on MOST systems without error.

If I were to not want to do the projects that are "just hobbies" to the project owners then I wouldn't be into DCing because there wouldn't be a project I'd be willing to run. Not 1.

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
ok,
lots of different ways of funding, and results being free to all, etc.

How do they know they have 8 more primes to find?

Some (SOME) maths projects have little reason that i (I) can see, others (maths, and non maths) seem to have a goal, and purpose.

But then again this is free-DC, thats why we are here.

LAURENU2
11-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I disagree with you heavily Helix.

Most DC projects are (when boiled down) "just a hobby". DC computing would be nothing right now if it were only feasable to convince people to run programs so the person who owns the project can in the end make money.

Was not and is UD [United Devices )a for profit DC project?

CaptainMooseInc
11-18-2006, 02:25 PM
UD I believe was kinda like a for-profit. I know the whole grid.org thing that it's a part of is for-profit.

I participated in it briefly when I first moved away from S@H years ago since the guy running S@H was promoting it. Then I found FaD and never went back. :)

I'm not saying I won't particpate in a for-profit DC project. But there aren't any projects that are for-profit at the moment that I'm really a part of...

-Jeff

jasong
11-18-2006, 02:55 PM
UD I believe was kinda like a for-profit. I know the whole grid.org thing that it's a part of is for-profit.

I participated in it briefly when I first moved away from S@H years ago since the guy running S@H was promoting it. Then I found FaD and never went back. :)

I'm not saying I won't particpate in a for-profit DC project. But there aren't any projects that are for-profit at the moment that I'm really a part of...

-Jeff
Another reason not to participate in a project is if they have draconian censorship. When I was in UD they deleted all kinds of stuff that people wrote. If it made the project look bad in the least little way, it was deleted. Even comments about competing projects got deleted.

Things may have changed, but I decided at the time that they definitely DID NOT deserve my cycles.

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-18-2006, 02:59 PM
if you think thats draconian, try DPAD:swear: :swear: :swear:

that stephen,,, what a guy
:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear::swear: :swear: :swear:

many years ago now,, never went back:D

CaptainMooseInc
11-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I'll never do DPAD again. Horrible horrible program.

jasong
11-18-2006, 05:39 PM
If one wants to discuss the opposite, the no longer running Find a Drug was one the best run DC projects EVER. Their client was super-optimized, and they definitely cared about the users.

The only reason they quit was they felt they were running out of useful work.

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-18-2006, 07:05 PM

wasn't the program i had the issues with, still onward and upward.

I suppose it's a fine line between a project being DC in the true and open meaning that DCer's have come to expect, and a large corp having the financial muscle to make it run smoothly and with the backing and personel that is required.
So we all run what we are happy with, and do the background checking ourselves so we are happy with that choice.

:cheers: :beep:

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Hmm what's this command do:
#root: connect node51285
connecting to node51285.....
node51285 password required for user: root.
password: #############
accepted.
node51285#root: attach -l
attached nodes:
node 51284 node 51249 node 51299
node 51216 node 51272 node 51237
node 51305 node 51250 node 51204
node 51195 node 51243 node 51184
node51285#root: attach -sd -all -d -fw
sending command -sd to all attached nodes and having them forward to all attached nodes.
node shutdown in 10 seconds, you will be automatically logged out..
node51285 user root logout succesful..
Warning!: Major Power outage in all sector: no nodes are responding to usage function.
#root: preset -all -n root
reseting all user passwords execpt root........
#root: cpwd
old password: ##########
new password: ##########
retype password: ##########
password change successful
#root: logout
Now logging out of Netherlands Power Grid Management server..
----
Ophs, that's what it does..

LAURENU2
11-18-2006, 10:12 PM
wasn't the program i had the issues with, still onward and upward.

I suppose it's a fine line between a project being DC in the true and open meaning that DCer's have come to expect, and a large corp having the financial muscle to make it run smoothly and with the backing and personel that is required.
So we all run what we are happy with, and do the background checking ourselves so we are happy with that choice.

:cheers: :beep:
Sounds like your still mad at me I swear I did not mean to through that switch
:jester: :banana: :jester:

Helix_Von_Smelix
11-19-2006, 03:24 AM
not mad at you:thumbs:

unless i bumped into you when i used to work in the windy city, or unless you work in oxford on dpad??

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :jester: :jester: :clap:

Hades_au
11-19-2006, 07:01 AM
How do they know they have 8 more primes to find?

Some (SOME) maths projects have little reason that i (I) can see, others (maths, and non maths) seem to have a goal, and purpose.

Did you read what the project is about? :)

From the homepage

The Sierpinski problem itself deals with numbers of the form N = k * 2^n + 1, for any odd k and n > 1. Numbers of this form are called Proth numbers. If, for some specific value of k, every possible choice of n results in a composite (non-prime) Proth number N, then that k is called a Sierpinski number. The Sierpinski problem itself is: "What is the smallest Sierpinski number?" (For a more rigorous mathematical discussion of the problem, see prothsearch.net's Sierpinski Problem page.)

John Selfridge proved, 40 years ago, that k = 78,557 is a Sierpinski number. Most number theorists believe that this is the smallest, but it hasn't yet been proven. In order to prove it, we have to show that every single k less than 78,557 is not a Sierpinski number, and to do that, we have to find some n that makes k * 2^n + 1 prime. When Seventeen or Bust was started, this had already been done for all but 17 values of k; hence the name of the project.

9 primes have been found, 8 to go to prove John Selfridge was correct.

em99010pepe
11-19-2006, 07:13 AM
if you think thats draconian, try DPAD:swear: :swear: :swear:

that stephen,,, what a guy
:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear::swear: :swear: :swear:

many years ago now,, never went back:D

I agree with you. He's just a $$#%#%#%#.

Carlos

XS_Diablo_Legion
11-19-2006, 03:57 PM
In areh9olihness no one beats the Rosetta people. Lack of backbone and integrity in running a project.

LAURENU2
11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
In areh9olihness no one beats the Rosetta people. Lack of backbone and integrity in running a project.

no one beats the Rosetta people

But what if we :banana: want to beat on some of them:rotfl:

riptide
11-23-2006, 06:31 AM
But what if we :banana: want to beat on some of them:rotfl:
count me in! I'll bring the baseball bats. :rotfl:

As for SOB, this is number theory. There are a small community of people around the world who primes and numerololgy, and number theory mean a lot. (Recommeded reading: 'Keys to Infinity' :thumbs: )There is one thing that SOB will do, some day... and that is find all those remaining prime numbers. It will and is destained to achieve its goal, (if left long enough) As for other projects, particularly medical ones, although we are all doing a little bit in the right direction, we will never find a cure or have a breakthrough with DC alone. The entire medical community does not understand properly all the principles in protein folding/large scale molecular interations. Now we all hope that we are helping people understand it a bit better, but you can see my point. Its undefined, with undefined goals. I'd be better off paying a donation to buy an Xray diffraction machine, or donating cash to fund a couple of lab techs.

Having said all that, I'll STILL have no problem runing medical apps shoulder to shoulder with my team. But one must see the bigger picture which I have tried to explain.

i hope any I have tried to wipe away doubts as to SOB's merits, as i can see your scores waning a little.

If you guys get stampeded by the cows.... I'm going to have to abuse Lauren for a period of not less than 5 days. :rotfl:

XS_Diablo_Legion
11-23-2006, 10:39 AM
If you guys get stampeded by the cows.... I'm going to have to abuse Lauren for a period of not less than 5 days. :rotfl:

Ripster..be careful with what you promise Lauren may enjoy the abuse :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LAURENU2
11-23-2006, 10:54 AM
If you guys get stampeded by the cows.... I'm going to have to abuse Lauren for a period of not less than 5 days.

***********************:drink:**********************
:drink: :drink: That would be one Hell of a Hangover :drink: :drink:

LAURENU2
11-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Ripster..be careful with what you promise Lauren may enjoy the abuse :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:umm: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:blush: <_______:hifi: :roadkill:

H

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Cmdr Laurenu I got your six, oh and me and the crew love a nice big juicy steak or 3..
Someone has to learn ya mess with one FDC'r ya mess with 'em all :banana:

LAURENU2
11-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Cmdr Laurenu I got your six, oh and me and the crew love a nice big juicy steak or 3..
Someone has to learn ya mess with one FDC'r ya mess with 'em all :banana:

Team Work

Team Work

Team Work :hiya: Thanks gopher

Fozzie
11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
in the dailies.

:swear:

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Okay people, time to lock n load.. it's :sniper: or assimalate :borg: them all..

JustEmazing
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
WOOHOO! More fake stats for me! :clap:

Looks like someone did another RESTORE on a windows box I have SoB running on. I expect this will be the last restore since I intend to intervene and fix their problem. May take a week for the machine to decide to be crunching real numbers (I blame Windows registry!)

On a better note, I should be able to add another Dual Core 2 running as a service in 7-10 daze. :thumbs:
I have't succeeded in getting SoB running on my FreeBSD 6.1 servers. I keep getting Bus Error (core dumped) and no time to investigate.

LAURENU2
12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Okay people, time to lock n load.. it's :sniper: or assimalate :borg: them all..
It is no use to resist I have seen the Cows camp and there new secret weapon
Secret Weapon (http://www.bechamel.com/v3/strange2.swf):rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl:

JustEmazing
12-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh my! That's hilarious!

jasong
12-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Oh my! That's hilarious!
I just thought it was really odd.

Maybe it's British humor, I've always thought their comedies kinda sucked. I've got a British joke book that doesn't amuse me at all.

On second thought, Mr. Bean was British and funny.

LAURENU2
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I just thought it was really odd.

Maybe it's British humor, I've always thought their comedies kinda sucked. I've got a British joke book that doesn't amuse me at all.

On second thought, Mr. Bean was British and funny.

If you start picking on Dr Who them will be fighting words:haddock:

jasong
12-02-2006, 01:29 PM
If you start picking on Dr Who them will be fighting words:haddock:
Dr. Who is excellent.

Yeah, I guess there are jokes on that show, aren't there?

Fozzie
12-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Rosetta is more secure than SoB so I'm swinging my home boxen back to SoB tonight.