PDA

View Full Version : OSX problems getting started

Louise Jensen
07-13-2002, 01:44 AM
I'd like to help out with this project. I've downloaded the text client for Mac OSX, but cannot get it to work. I double clicked on "foldit" but doing so only pops up a window that says the following:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -e donename.dat ]
then
rm -f tmpfoldit.bat
rm -f donename.dat
else
if [ -e changename.dat ]
then
rm -f foldit
rm -f changename.dat
cp -f tmpfoldit.bat foldit
chmod 755 foldit
cp -f foldit donename.dat
./foldit
exit 0
else
if [ -e tmpfoldit.bat ]
then
chmod 755 tmpfoldit.bat
cp -f foldit changename.dat
./tmpfoldit.bat
exit 0
fi
fi
fi
./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native

What am I doing wrong? In the ReadMe, it says I only need to double click on the foldit folder and it should start working.

Jodie
07-13-2002, 03:50 AM
Just a guess off the top of my head - check the properties on it and make sure that it's "executable"

Louise Jensen
07-13-2002, 10:36 AM
There is no file with .exe after it and that is the only one titled foldit.

Brian the Fist
07-13-2002, 12:32 PM
I'd like to know what README you're reading, because its not the one I wrote :p The Mac OSX version is not like most Mac programs, it is a 'unix' application. You need to run it from a unix shell Window (I think the program you need to run is called Terminal), by changing to the proper directory and typing './foldit' followed by Enter.

Louise Jensen
07-13-2002, 02:22 PM
Brian,

When I clicked on the ReadMe file in its column (right to the right of the link you click to download the OSX client), ALL the links to the ReadMEs of all the versions changed a different color thus indicating their the same link to the same document. The ReadMe that I read was written for PC users. Where is the one for Mac users?

Also, I'm not computer savvy. Does the client that I have downloaded contain the Terminal program you refer to? Could you include that in the client program or another link to get that as well or some program that will download it for me? I'd really appreciate an easy to use thing.

And I'd really like to help. Also, I wish there was a screensaver for Mac since I'd like to see the graphics.

ColinT
07-13-2002, 02:49 PM
The Terminal is built into the operating system. Look here:
/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Brian the Fist
07-13-2002, 08:18 PM
I can't give you step by step directions as Im don't have a Mac so can someone step in and give explicit directions of how to open a terminal, how to change directories, and how to un-tar and gzip the program and then start it up?

MAD-ness
07-13-2002, 08:26 PM
Here is the link to the "Getting Started" guide at the Ars Technica Team Stir Fry web page. Most of it is aimed for Windows users, but Welnic wrote up a getting started guide (including commands/scripts) for Mac OSX users.

I have not tried it myself, as I don't have a Mac, but those who have tried seem to think it works fine.

Mac OS X Install

1. Follow the directions at the top. 2. Unstuff it with StuffitExpander[1] and you'll have a folder called "distribfold" wherever you unstuffit it at. Drag this folder to your Applications folder.[2] 3. Go to: www.distributedfolding.org/login.html and register. Follow the instructions there and get you 'handle' emailed to you. 3. Now open a Terminal window and type:
cd /Applications/distribfold ; ./foldit when it asks for your handle, type it in, case sensitive. After a little bit, it will start folding proteins. There you go! If you want to quit the program, just bring the Terminal window to the front and type 'q'. (No, don't type the ' ' marks) If you don't have an "always on" internet connection and dial up to your ISP, you may wish to make a small change. If you have limited hard drive space, do nothing. If you have plenty of space, type this:
cd /Applications/distribfold; pico foldit
and at the end of the last line in the file add '-df'. This will keep your client crunching even if it can't contact the server (because you're not dialed up). so every so often when you are dialed up, quit the program and then type './foldit' to start it again. This sends the results to the server.

Footnotes:
[1] If you're a gunzip and tar master, do your thing. It's all the same.
[2] Or wherever else you like. Just replace everytime I say '/Applications' with whatever the path to your folder is.

Where it says "Follow the steps at the top" it is refering to directions on setting up an account and downloading the client. If you have already done those things, you can skip it (and I won't paste it here).

The full link is:

http://tsf.dbestern.net/gettingstarted.php

Hope that helps.

MAD-ness
07-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Also, that getting started guide has some tips of "further configuration" that are worth looking at once you get things up and running. Things like using the "-df" switch, etc.

Good luck, hope that this all helps you get up and running.

edit: I just noticed that my cut and paste screwed up the formatting of the directions, so if it is hard to read, check the page I linked for a better format. :(

Louise Jensen
07-14-2002, 09:27 AM
I have the distribfold folder on my desktop. I got my handle. But how do I open up a Terminal window? Also, I don't want the things (distribfold folder, distribfold-current-macosx.tar, and distribfold-current-macosx..1) on my desktop. An icon for the program, but not all three of those. I like keep my desktop uncluttered.

It is too bad this isn't easier to do. An easy to download .exe program that takes me through all the steps, gets me my handle, asks me questions how I'd like it set up (how my internet connection is set-up, would I like to auto-launch it upon start-up, would I like an icon on my desktop, etc.), and all I then have to do is press "OK" and it does it all.

I have a DSL connection, but it is unreliable at times. I plan to let my computer run all the time and be always connected. But I can see my connection failing again and I wonder what the program will do then. I'm away from home a lot visiting sons and grandchildren and I'd hate it not to do anything while I'm away. I'm leaving my computer on for this purpose and I'd like to know it will keep working away and if it doesn't connect, it will attempt to do so at a later time. Perhaps something that will auto-connect my computer back to the net if it gets disconnected? Perhaps that's another one of the questions it can ask us on set-up?

If this can be made real simple and easy to do, I will give a little talk about it at the meetings of organizations I belong to and try to get them enrolled too. I think it is great how this enables us to help find cures for diseases. However, right now, I see all this being a bit too confusing, difficult, and overwhelming for my generation. If I didn't have a son (who recruited me for this project) that I could call to help me with this, I don't think I'd even have gotten this far. He's the one that told me to post here. He has a PC and not a Mac so he's unsure what all I need to do.

jamesa
07-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Louise Jensen
I have the distribfold folder on my desktop. I got my handle. But how do I open up a Terminal window? Also, I don't want the things (distribfold folder, distribfold-current-macosx.tar, and distribfold-current-macosx..1) on my desktop. An icon for the program, but not all three of those. I like keep my desktop uncluttered.

Louise, the problem here is that the program is not a typical MacOS X program. It's a Unix program that works on OS X because OS X is based on Unix. This means that to start it you need to start it as you would in Unix.

It's no problem to move the distribfold folder to somewhere less conspicuous to keep your desktop uncluttered. Everything within that folder you need. All the other stuff you list above that's cluttering your desktop is just compressed files that you used to download the program from the internet; they can be deleted.

So, you have your distribfold folder - move it wherever you like or keep it where it is on the desktop.

Open up the Terminal application; it will be in Utilities, which is inside the Applications folder.

Once it's open, a terminal window will come up; this will have a prompt like this:
[localhost:~] jamesa%
or whatever your username is. Now, this is where it starts to get kind of tricky.

you need to type in:
cd ~/Desktop/distribfold
exactly like that, if you left the distribfold folder on the desktop. If you put it in documents, it needs to be
cd ~/Documents/distribfold
The capitals are important.
If you put the folder in Applications, it needs to be
cd /Applications/distribfold

Basically, what we're doing here is like double clicking on a folder, but in Unix. We need to get into the folder to execute the file. Also note - if you put it in Documents, or on the Desktop, you need to put the tilde in (~), because it's in your user folder. Because Applications is not in the user folder, you don't put the tilde in.

Now, to start the program running, type:
./foldit
That will start the command line program, it will ask you if you want auto update (etc) and your handle. To start the program again, just follow those steps.

It is too bad this isn't easier to do. An easy to download .exe program that takes me through all the steps, gets me my handle, asks me questions how I'd like it set up (how my internet connection is set-up, would I like to auto-launch it upon start-up, would I like an icon on my desktop, etc.), and all I then have to do is press "OK" and it does it all.

I agree, it would be nice, but having the Command line version is better than no version at all. Give it a shot, if you get stuck email me at emptyskies@mac.com and I'll try to help.

I have a DSL connection, but it is unreliable at times. I plan to let my computer run all the time and be always connected. But I can see my connection failing again and I wonder what the program will do then. I'm away from home a lot visiting sons and grandchildren and I'd hate it not to do anything while I'm away. I'm leaving my computer on for this purpose and I'd like to know it will keep working away and if it doesn't connect, it will attempt to do so at a later time. Perhaps something that will auto-connect my computer back to the net if it gets disconnected? Perhaps that's another one of the questions it can ask us on set-up?

It does ask this, and it will attempt to auto-connect if you let it. It respects your DSL settings that you put into MacOS X that your web browser and email program and everything else uses.

If this can be made real simple and easy to do, I will give a little talk about it at the meetings of organizations I belong to and try to get them enrolled too. I think it is great how this enables us to help find cures for diseases. However, right now, I see all this being a bit too confusing, difficult, and overwhelming for my generation. If I didn't have a son (who recruited me for this project) that I could call to help me with this, I don't think I'd even have gotten this far. He's the one that told me to post here. He has a PC and not a Mac so he's unsure what all I need to do.

The Mac is using a harder way (ironic, isn't it?) because it uses the Unix version. I'm not sure it's ripe for all your friends to use, but I do hope this helps you get started.

Best wishes,

-- james

Louise Jensen
07-15-2002, 02:19 AM
Jamesa,

Thank you for taking the time for write that thoughtful reply. However, I cannot find either the application folder or utilities. Plus I'm just not up to such complicated instructions. Sorry.

---

Brian,

If you ever make an easy-to-use set-up program for Macs, please send me an email and I'll try again then. Sorry, but what you're asking of me to join your project is just something I do not feel I'm up for nor feel confident enough to do. Perhaps you could ask your volunteers that program in Mac to create such an easy start-up program for you. Best of luck with your research.