0.995M
1.01M
1.15M
1.33M
3.32M
5.05M
7.83M
9.16M

In the single month of December 2002, a total of five primes under, or near 1M were found. That was an amazing time for the project. Afterwards, the next four primes were discovered at a rate of about one per year. It was slow but regular.

In fact, looking at this list of discoveries, there is a great deal of regularity to it. Several primes were found at, or below ~1M, then 3M, 5, 7, and 9. The interval between primes seems to be growing at a rate of about 1.5. One would expect the next prime to be at ~15M or maybe 20M.

However, in the 18 months since the last prime discovery, the project has only advanced to 10-13M on PRP'ing. This is short of the 15-20M expected to discover the next prime, and before it's done, the next prime discovery will take almost twice as long as the last several discoveries.

Is anyone comfortable with this rate of progress? SoB seems to be grinding to a halt just when several major innovations (sieving, dual core procs, etc) were ready to propel us forward to a greater speed.

Velociraptor
04-15-2007, 09:18 AM
hi

is there something going on or not? Is there a progress? Whats with the 3.0 Version?

cu Velo

vjs
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
not sure about version 3.0 but there is certainly progress being made project wise.

Sieve has a new coordination system developed by Matt although alot of people are now using the combined effort, PSP with SoB dat.

This is all thanks to the newly developed sieve client from Joe_O, which is quite a bit faster. In addition to this client there has been work on another client for Unix and Mac called SR2 or S2R sieve can't remember since I don't use it.

We are also pounding away with the PRP results!!! should be getting a prime soon, we are almost past due in my opinion, you never know when.

On the P-1 front Louie the project owner and Engracio have basically hammered all of those tests away. Basically they have gone so far we should almost wait before we continue any more P-1 testing.

If you were looking for something to do try secondpass testing... probably the only portion of the project which is a little behind.

Simply add QQQsecondpass to the end of your username. (BTW this is another somewhat recent development.)

In any regards the project is running pretty smoothly. Either join the combined effort in sieve or start secondpass testing if you need some suggestions for direction.

Good luck and lucky prime or factor, which ever you decide.

vjs
04-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Also I believe Dudlio predictions are a little less than optimistic. I was personally thinking that we will find at least 2 more primes before 20M possibly 3.

vjs
05-06-2007, 10:20 AM
O.k. I'm going to update this... since we are now down to 7 primes and we lost one of the lowest weighted ones.

I still believe we will find at least two more primes, probably only 4 will survive much past 20M.

Tallbill
05-21-2007, 02:28 PM
With dual cores being a huge chunk of computers these days and cheap quad cores right around the corner, I think we'll be fine. Math projects draw less interest then disease fighting projects, but they seem to always produce real results, which keeps me going.