PDA

View Full Version : What CPU architecture is the Linux client compiled for?

dnar
07-16-2002, 02:05 PM
i386, i486, i586, i686?

I am getting "Illegal Instruction" when forst running the client on an old Pentium 166 machine...

Cheers.

Brian the Fist
07-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Please read CompatibilityNotes.txt in your package.

dnar
07-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Thanx. RTFM... ;)

Its kind of interesting the doco's say:-

All libraries used by the program are statically linked so no 3rd party files should be needed, other than the OS itself (and in some cases ncurses), to run it.

when:-

[wayne@Criten distribfold]$ ldd foldtrajlite
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40026000)
libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x4003d000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x4007f000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x400a2000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

??? :confused:

Brian the Fist
07-17-2002, 10:29 AM
pthread, libm (math) and libc, ld-linux are all standard shared libraries on all Linux machines. These are pretty well NEVER statically linked as they always exist. If you are missing these, your system will be majorly screwed..

dnar
07-17-2002, 11:08 AM
No I am not missing them. Its a RAM-disk based diskless Linux built by myself BTW.

Thanx for the help Howard.

Jodie
07-17-2002, 11:41 PM
Dnar and I both build highly optimized (optimised for dnar... ;) ) distributions for our personal DC clusters. We both notice little gotchas like that, generally. Although I think he's rather more aggressive in stripping than I. (KUDOS, Dnar!!!):thumbs:

Scotttheking
07-20-2002, 06:11 AM
I'll post my question here because it's pretty similar to what you are doing.
I just got my netboot working, and DF won't run.
First, if you'd make a static linked client, it'd really rock. Since I doubt you will do that though, here's what I did.
Every time the client errored, I put that library in /lib until it didn't error anymore.
Now here's what I get:
./foldit
Checking for newer versions...
Unable to check for new version, will try again later...
Error opening terminal: linux.

What is wrong?

dnar
07-20-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Scotttheking
I'll post my question here because it's pretty similar to what you are doing.
I just got my netboot working, and DF won't run.
First, if you'd make a static linked client, it'd really rock. Since I doubt you will do that though, here's what I did.
Every time the client errored, I put that library in /lib until it didn't error anymore.
Now here's what I get:
./foldit
Checking for newer versions...
Unable to check for new version, will try again later...

What is wrong?
First off, Howard states the client is statically linked. What libraries did you have to put into /lib? The libs listed in my post above, if so I am confused, you should have had them already....

Second, you are updating your lib cache (ldconfig) with each library you add to /lib aint you?

Third, do you have a default gateway defined on the node machine? What does "route" produce?

Brian the Fist
07-20-2002, 10:40 AM

This is an error from ncurses. Not sure how much you know about it, but basically in addition to the library itself, curses uses 'termcap' files. If installed properly, there usually end up in /usr/local/share/terminfo or something like that. If you want to be tricky though (like I was for macOSX), get the ncurses source and compile it yourself, telling configure you want your termcap file in '.' instead of /usr/local/...

Then it will look in your current directory for the termcap file and just put the one you need. e.g. if your TERM=vt100, put the vt100 file in a subdirectory called 'v'. The termcap files come wth the curses source I believe.

The only libraries dynamically linked (ldd foldtrajlite) should be pthread, libc, curses, math and ld-linux. Almost every executable depends on these os its pointless to statically link them I think (plus Im not even sure how to...)

dnar
07-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Most distro's I have used place them in /usr/share.

Scotttheking
07-21-2002, 02:25 AM
Ok, how about this
Handle found ....... waiting 5 seconds
after 5 seconds
[foldtrajlite] FATAL ERROR: CoreLib [02.005] File write error
Hit return

Brian the Fist
07-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Most likely, parition full.. check 'df -k' to see if any partitions are at 100%. Probably /tmp..

Scotttheking
07-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
Most likely, parition full.. check 'df -k' to see if any partitions are at 100%. Probably /tmp..

How big do you need /tmp to be?

Scotttheking
07-21-2002, 04:00 PM
edit to above: um, how hard would it be to make the client use it's own directory for writable stuff, and not /tmp :D
I'm still looking into increasing the size of /tmp, but it's 1MB and kernel specified, and it's a ram disk.

--Scott

Jodie
07-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Why is your /tmp kernel specified - and so tiny?

Everything on the box writes to /tmp for its temporary files. That's what /tmp is for...

Just curious...

Writing temp files to a perm directory is considered 'bad form' in *nix programming.

Scotttheking
07-21-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Jodie
Why is your /tmp kernel specified - and so tiny?

Everything on the box writes to /tmp for its temporary files. That's what /tmp is for...

Just curious...

Writing temp files to a perm directory is considered 'bad form' in *nix programming.

Because it's specified as a ramdisk. Well, that's what the netboot howto says.

Yup, and apparently 1MB is enough for everything else.

Just asking.
I'm going to try and see if I can make it mount /tmp to NFS, but I'm learning as I go (at least I finally learned to backup config files before messing with them :))

Brian the Fist
07-21-2002, 06:57 PM
use the TMPDIR environment variable to change your temp dir if you want.

Scotttheking
07-21-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
use the TMPDIR environment variable to change your temp dir if you want.

Thx

Scotttheking
07-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Um, say that /tmp is, oh, a NFS mount over a 10 base network.
Would that affect the client's speed?