PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake = PiSegment Downtime...

CaptainMooseInc
12-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Well as I'm sure all of us have noticed the PiSegment project is slowly coming back to life with the rest of Asia as the repairs continue along.

What I'm concerned about (and I hope that JUST reads this)...

I have 715 WUs downloaded and 497 WUs uploaded. Will all the rest eventually make there way up? I keep clicking the Upload Now button but nothing happens and when I click the download now button the client does attempt to download a new WU. I hope the client isn't set to only upload a WU when a WU is finished.

That'd mean a LOT of people (including me) will be sitting on TONS of expired tests pretty much forever...

I know for me that if the WUs that were completed and failed upload weren't saved for later upload (and somehow this program will eventually catch up) I will be done with this project as it would prove to be a total waste of my computer's time for even doing them in the first place...

-Jeff

jasong
12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I have 715 WUs downloaded and 497 WUs uploaded. Will all the rest eventually make there way up? I keep clicking the Upload Now button but nothing happens and when I click the download now button the client does attempt to download a new WU. I hope the client isn't set to only upload a WU when a WU is finished.

That'd mean a LOT of people (including me) will be sitting on TONS of expired tests pretty much forever...

I know for me that if the WUs that were completed and failed upload weren't saved for later upload (and somehow this program will eventually catch up) I will be done with this project as it would prove to be a total waste of my computer's time for even doing them in the first place...

-Jeff
Try to remember this is China's first DC project, so there will probably be hiccups along the way. Also, since this project obviously doesn't require require an always-on connection, they could probably manage to come up with a hack so that you can send the work in and get credit.

CaptainMooseInc
12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
First project or not, I hate the scoring system for this project and I'm not about to lose 20,000 points because the system can't upload more than 1 WU at a time and I've legitimately done the work.

jasong
12-30-2006, 08:39 PM
First project or not, I hate the scoring system for this project and I'm not about to lose 20,000 points because the system can't upload more than 1 WU at a time and I've legitimately done the work.
I'm sure they could hack something together if they had to. My suggestion is to keep the work-units sitting on your hard drive and wait for the official answer.

Oh, and stopping the crunching temporarily might be a good idea.

JUST
12-31-2006, 05:19 AM
Well as I'm sure all of us have noticed the PiSegment project is slowly coming back to life with the rest of Asia as the repairs continue along.

What I'm concerned about (and I hope that JUST reads this)...

-Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Take it easy. You wouldn't loss any credit, score or waste time.
Since I have changed the policy of upload (no credit loss even though expired), "Expired" is only a meaningless word on the screen.
All the completed WU will stored in your cache and client will try to upload them whenever it can. Most importantly, upload them now or later affect exactly the same.

CaptainMooseInc
12-31-2006, 01:10 PM
JUST,

My problem here is that the client seems to have a 1 to 1 completion to upload ratio. You can click the Upload Now button as many times as you want and basically that button is 110% useless. It doesn't do anything. The gap between my downloads and uploads has stayed the same. I don't see the client making any further attempt to upload extra WUs back as you claim it will...

-Jeff

JUST
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
It's strange. Could you send cache.txt and guilog.txt to pisegment@gmail.com? They are useful to analyze the problem.
And as we deisgned, clicking upload button means try to upload all completed WU in cache and client will attempt to upload them three times if error occured.

CaptainMooseInc
01-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Files are sent.

There seems to be a LONG gap in the days of the log. Many days in a row are missing entirely. The files were sent from a G-Mail account of mine EBAYHACKER so don't spam it when you get it. Looks like the data was potentially lost. 214 WUs worth of it. Most likely because the file became too large and was automatically cleared and reset by your program as most likely stated in some parameters set up for a sort of "self cleaning" as to not let any files become too overly large. That'd be my guess anyway as some other projects do this but I would hope that your upper bounds for such would either be able to be user-defined in the future or set to a much higher level (such as 1000WUs).

-Jeff

JUST
01-02-2007, 05:22 AM
You're right, Jeff.
The previous volume of cache is only 200 and easily full. Fortunately, the WU you lost are almost uncomputed WU.

I've released a patch on website which fixed it to 2000. Since the website is hardly to visit. I'll post it here too. Close the client and overwrite the file with same name, and then run client again.

Sorry for this BUG and thank you for notice.

edorajh
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Thanks! Just installed patch on all 3 machines. It's very fun project and I enjoy running it. Hope we will succeed to brake the world record. :thumbs:

Edo

CaptainMooseInc
01-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Well since I managed to find a honest bug and whatnot and since you are kinda new at the whole DC thing, a few hiccups I guess isn't so bad. At least my name is on the site other than stats now. :clap:

I'm more calm now and shall continue crunching... :banana: