PDA

View Full Version : DCHP (Or, you can't beat Windows)

Scoofy12
07-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Grrr....
<rant>On my primary home computer, I have a partition for windows XP, one for programs, and a couple more for data. 2 days ago I was defragmenting my programs partition, and the computer managed to lock up completely. I thought, Oh great, I hope not too many of my program files have been corrupted. Much to my surprise, upon rebooting, I found that Windows, residing on a completely different partition with a completely different filesystem, WOULD NOT BOOT :swear: :swear: :swear:! Missing some DLL, and would not even boot into safe mode. I booted from a DOS disk and found not only could i not read from my programs partition, but i COULD NOT EVEN RUN SCANDISK ON IT :bang: :bang: :bang: I don't have a windows XP CD (Got it through MSDNAA) to recover from.
I had separate partitions for a reason, but should have known you can't beat Windows. It always wins. </rant>

OK, but to the original point of this thread.
I can't seem to be able to get DHCP to work in any linux 2.4.18 kernel that I compile myself. It works fine in the 2.2 kernel that came with the Debian Woody snapshot install CDs, but not when I boot my own 2.4 kernel. Anyone have any thoughts?

Jodie
07-17-2002, 12:07 PM
How is it 'not working'? (ie anything more about the failure you can tell us? anything in the syslogs?)

And is that DHCP client or DHCP server?

Scoofy12
07-17-2002, 12:24 PM
This would be the DHCP client. ifup (or running dhclient) bring the interface up wihtout complaining, and it shows in my ifconfig as up, but doesn't have an ip address. when i do an ifdown, it complains something about not being able to find the PID of dhclient, so i assume it's not running in that case.
All this works in the 2.2 kernel that came with debian.

Jodie
07-17-2002, 02:42 PM
try ifup and then type pump - check for an IP - or see if you get error messages. pump is the fastest easiest way of forcing a dhcp query.

Jodie
07-17-2002, 02:43 PM
As an aside - see if you have pumpd on your box. If you do - execute that and ifdown ifup and see if life is happier. (stand-alone dhcp client daemon - if that's not a contradiction in terms ;) )

Scoofy12
07-17-2002, 05:47 PM
Yeah, pump pulled it right up.
Jodie, next time i'm in your town, I'm buying you a beer or whatever you want:thumbs:
But I expect that will be a while, so you'll have to settle for a :cheers: for now.
But thanks! :D

Jodie
07-18-2002, 02:34 AM
Before you offer that - better price Trappist Ale - a girl's gotta have her standards! ;) :p

Cool! Glad it worked!

Now you should have chkcfg or chkconfig or setup or similar. Using one of those, you can setup pumpd to start automagically (easily) - or, of course, there's putting it into an rc.d - want to start it early and stop it late. After bringing up network and before bringing it down...

Best thing about Linux is the huge support network... :cheers:

Dyyryath
07-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Heh, smart women are cool... ;)