PDA

View Full Version : GUI v6 - Still a problem..

GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
07-20-2002, 08:08 AM
See attached screenshot file..

GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
07-20-2002, 08:36 AM
http://goldenball.homestead.com/files/ScreenShot1.jpg

Digital Parasite
07-20-2002, 01:15 PM
I was going to wait until the weekend was over just to be sure but thanks to the help of another DF member (Joe O on the TSF team) we have been running a special debug version of dfGUI to track down the problem and I think I have found it.

What seems to be happening is that once in a while the dfGUI program reads the progress.txt file as it is being written by the DF client but the data inside hadn't finished being written so dfGUI didn't read the # of structures generated properly and reported it as 0. When this happens the benchmark resets itself and sets the starting structure # as 0.

The next time dfGUI updates it correctly reads the progress.txt file in which case the # of structures generated is back to what it used to be (some large number) and all of a sudden dfGUI thinks you have created thousands of structures in a few seconds. ;-)

Pfew, I'm happy that I finally found this darn problem that has been driving me crazy for months. No wonder it was hard to find because it only happens in the off chance that the DF client is in the progress of writing progress.txt. The lower your refresh rate the more of a chance you had for this to effect you. On the other hand I should have thought of this before. :mad:

Anyway, I am testing my fix and if everything goes well I hope to release a v1.61 early next week that will solve the problem for good.

Thanks everyone for helping me to track this down.

Jeff.