PDA

View Full Version : Status of project?

[RKN]DerDiplomat
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Hello every one,

do someone know about the status of eon, any scientific results?

The last news on the homepage are from Nov. 10, 2006.

Thanks for your input in advance.

em99010pepe
04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Sent an email to Graeme, hope to get a response as soon as possible.

Carlos

graeme
04-08-2007, 02:19 PM
First, thanks to all you Free-DC'ers for all the cycles.

Our focus this year has been on the computational algorithms. My postdoc, Lijun Xu, has implemented several strategies to increase the simulation time, accuracy, and system size scaling.

One improvement involves taking all the important processes found at one step, and sending them back out as initial guesses at the next step. This helps a lot if the system is large enough that the processes are confined to a local region. When a process is selected at one step, any remote processes will be unchanged and returned to the server very quickly as a new valid process at the subsequent step.

A second improvement also makes use of this locality. We are testing if we can focus new searches at the current steps in the area in which a process was selected at the previous step. If this works as we expect, it will lead to linear scaling in the cost with respect to system size.

One final improvement is how we deal with fast transitions between known states. This used to be the main reason that the server would not respond to clients - it was busy simulating the dynamics between states that it already knows about. Now, we apply a statistical model to choose a processes which leads to a new (unknown state). This has significantly reduced the server dead time.

Lijun is writing up a paper on these methods, and we'll have it out this summer.

Largely based upon the results from eon, we have received a NSF grant for taking this project further (info at http://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward.do?AwardNumber=0645497 ).
One of our long-term objectives is to use quantum mechanics to evaluate the interactions between atoms. These calculations are much more expensive that what we are doing, so that only the fastest machines with enough memory could participate. But, as computers get faster, this will eventually be possible. When we get this working, it will mean that we can simulate more interesting systems, including chemical reactions at surfaces, and the computational design of catalysts.

[RKN]DerDiplomat
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much for the update.

em99010pepe
08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Going to ask him for another progress report.

jasong
08-18-2007, 08:26 AM
The project seems to be have been down for about 2-2.5 hours.

em99010pepe
08-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Server is now up and running.

It seems that there is a network problem with our server again. Unfortunately, it is weekend and the computer room is closed. I am contacting other people to see if we can do something about it before Monday. Lijun.

Dr.Lee
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi all,

I know this thread has been there for a little while now.
I just wanted to drop by and say that indeed the server is up and running. This website is pretty cool and gives pretty accurate news.Simulation pret immobilier (http://simulationpretimmobilier.net)

Cheers!

LAURENU2
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi all,

I know this thread has been there for a little while now.
I just wanted to drop by and say that indeed the server is up and running. This website is pretty cool and gives pretty accurate news.Simulation pret immobilier (http://simulationpretimmobilier.net)

Cheers!
Yes But can your servers give out more work I have a vary Hungry Hoard here
and it seems like your servers stall out way to often

Razor_FX_II
02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Is this normal?

[FIDA] Reporting Results
[FIDA] Connecting to Server
[FIDA] Failed - RecvIdaMessage
[FIDA] Failed - Report results
[FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 5 seconds
[FIDA] Reporting Results
[FIDA] Failed - RecvIdaMessage
[FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 10 seconds
[FIDA] Reporting Results
SendIdaMessage: v3NetSend failed. EC=-7, bytes_sent=0
[FIDA] Failed - SendIdaMessage
[FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 20 seconds
[FIDA] Reporting Results
SendIdaMessage: v3NetSend failed. EC=-7, bytes_sent=0
[FIDA] Failed - SendIdaMessage
[FIDA] ZZZ - Sleep for 30 seconds

LAURENU2
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
ya makes you want to :cry: don't it
Guess that can't aford a good server

vaughan
02-04-2009, 02:21 AM
Yes its normal for this project. Just run as many instances of eOn as you can and eventually one of them will grab a task. I usually run 2 instances per core.

Razor_FX_II
02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Does anyone know if a Eon user switches from one team to different team, odes his points follow the user and apply to the new team even though they were earned with the older team?
Thanks

LAURENU2
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Well Free-DC is such a Good Team :hugging: Members don't think about that kind of stuff that much :confused:
So it might take one of the Stat Masters here like Bok :Pokes: to answer that Question

em99010pepe
02-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know if a Eon user switches from one team to different team, odes his points follow the user and apply to the new team even though they were earned with the older team?
Thanks

The points will follow the user.

LAURENU2
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
OK Razor_FX_II your all clear to Join:hugging: Free-DC now :Pokes:
You can even get a Free :roadkill: sign when you join us:thumbs:

rainbow2009
04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you Laurenu2 so much . Nice day everybody^^
pret auto (http://pret-auto.org)

IronBits
04-16-2009, 09:22 PM
:hiya: to all the new folks joining up. :thumbs:

LAURENU2
04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Thank you Laurenu2 so much . Nice day everybody^^
pret auto (http://pret-auto.org)
:welcome: rainbow2009 Hope you have fun here:bar:

bobtom115
06-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi all, I am a new member of forum :hair:

pret personnel (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

Bok
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Good to have you here !

What are you crunching ?

IronBits
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Nice! Welcome. :cheers:

GP500
09-21-2009, 07:24 AM
maybe wanted to do a bit EON for DPC

But this stopped me hard and fast

"EON Clients
Windows (559KB - Apr 13, 2005)"

4 1/2 years without an updated client :hair:

No improved code or even a better assembly. :evil:

Ps: Why isn't the eOn-page linking to this Forum.