PDA

View Full Version : RAM usage of Eon is phenomenal

jasong
04-11-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm amazed at how little RAM Eon uses(between 5 and 6MB per cpu). If all one wanted to do was crunch, one could conceivably boot Windows 2000 on a quad-core with 128MB of RAM, give every core an instance and not suffer from thrashing.

When one is volunteering their computer to help with research, numbers like this are very much appreciated.

alpha
04-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Have you seen RAM usage for the distributed.net client? When minimized, it can be <1MB.

vaughan
04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Jason you could run more than one client per core on that quad core in attempt to overcome eOn's tendency to get the ZZZs.

I run 4 instances on my core duo T2600 laptop using Win XP MCE.

jasong
04-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Jason you could run more than one client per core on that quad core in attempt to overcome eOn's tendency to get the ZZZs.

I run 4 instances on my core duo T2600 laptop using Win XP MCE.
I don't actually own a quad-core, I was just assuming each instance would behave similarly.

Have you seen RAM usage for the distributed.net client? When minimized, it can be <1MB.
I think the record belongs to SZTAKI Desktop Grid. That program uses almost nothing, although BOINC kind of ruins their glory with their usage or RAM(I forget what the actual numbers are.)