PDA

View Full Version : new BOINC project

Bok
04-18-2007, 10:12 AM
http://zivis.bifi.unizar.es/

Don't know too much about it though I created the team a few days ago. They are also exporting xml stats too, so I added those

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/projpage.php?proj=ziv

Bok :cheers:

alpha
04-18-2007, 10:39 AM
ZIVIS is an initiative which aims to establish in Zaragoza (Spain) the first “city-wide supercomputer”. The objective is to integrate as much computers as possible to form a virtual computing platform in the metropolitan area of Zaragoza (650.000 inhabitants). This is achieved through volunteer computing, namely using an adapted version of the open source software BOINC.

The project is run by the Zaragoza city council [2] and the Institute for Biocomputation and Physics of Complex Systems [3] of the University of Zaragoza, which will provide the scientific applications to be run on the platform.
ISDEP (“Integrator of Stochastic Differential Equations in Plasmas”) is a fusion plasma application programmed and highly optimized in C language which calculates the trajectories of the particles inside a fusion device. This environment is read from several input files which includes the geometry of the vacuum chamber of the fusion device, the magnetic field created by the coils, and the electrostatic and particles (electrons and ions) density profiles. As a result, the same calculus core can be used for a stellarator fusion device or for a tokamak one. The magnetic field is read from a grid (see Guasp et al.[5]) and interpolated in simulation time. The application calculates the next position of each particle along its trajectory as a function of the previous one, taking into consideration the environment and other initial parameters of the particles. These parameters include the possibility of a collision between particles during simulation and the electrical and magnetic fields inside the device. Those effects can be independently "switched off or on" by the user in order to assess its influence in particle evolution.

Actually, the calculation of the positions of the different particles of each trajectory during the simulation implies the solution of a set of Stochastic Differential Equations which governs the evolution of the plasma. The numerical algorithm used for solving them (by Kloeden and Pearson [6]) is of the Runge-Kutta type, upgraded so that it can deal with a gaussian noise (the one caused by the collisions of the particles with ions and electrons inside the device). At the end, the core calculates a great number of particles trajectories (typically about one million) and obtains averages of the relevant magnitudes, such as densities, temperatures and fluxes of particles.
The generation of workunits for ISDEP will be differentiated in two phases. In a first round (first four weeks of the production period) clients will calculate a determinate number of trajectories and will take measurements over them, essentially sampling positions using a given interval of time. They will also save a complete trajectory for a posterior visualization during the public demostration event. During the second phase (fifth week), only sampled data will be calculated.
Gives a rough idea.

jasong
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Possibly stupid question(some of the above is over my head):

Are they trying to come up with a fusion generator that makes more power than it consumes? I would definitely crunch for that goal, especially if the knowledge were made freely available.

Fozzie
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
fusion is mentioned quite a bit I think you may have stumbled upon something there. :looney:

jasong
04-19-2007, 10:00 PM
In case people weren't aware, the first web address in the first post of this thread is the site to sign up directly through BOINC. Maybe I'm looking like in idiot, but I didn't think of that yesterday.

alpha
04-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah, it's like that in most cases, jasong.

Also, you could have used http://babelfish.altavista.com to (roughly) translate the page. It mentions there what project URL to use when attaching.

alpha
04-20-2007, 06:33 AM
First impressions:
Around 20MB or so to download initially.
Completed work units seem to be about a 500kb upload, regardless of computation time.
Work units do not take long to complete at all (with some only taking seconds, my longest is 20mins).
The credit system is very stingy, though I haven't bothered to look into this (for instance: 4.69 claimed, 0.40 granted).Though this is all only based on 10 work units on one computer.

jasong
04-20-2007, 04:19 PM
First impressions:
Around 20MB or so to download initially.
Completed work units seem to be about a 500kb upload, regardless of computation time.
Work units do not take long to complete at all (with some only taking seconds, my longest is 20mins).
The credit system is very stingy, though I haven't bothered to look into this (for instance: 4.69 claimed, 0.40 granted).Though this is all only based on 10 work units on one computer.
Definitely not a project for people on a phone modem.

As for the stingy points, I don't think people should be encouraged to compete for all around BOINC high score. The projects should only have to worry about fairness of scoring within their own project. Just my opinion.

alpha
04-20-2007, 05:42 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Granted credit is very often significantly less than claimed credit for this project.

jasong
04-20-2007, 08:45 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Claimed credit is very often significantly less than granted credit for this project.
My bad.

n7vxj
04-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Just a personal opinion bit I'm kinda thinking the Boinc projecs kind of stink since nanohive has no work right now! There supposed excuse is they're about to release the next WU's to be processed.Sorry, but my elecric bill is too high to run boxes for no reason!! They should have had this planed out months ago!!! I'm seriously considering shutting all my boxes down, and quitting d.c. for awhile! To me, if you want me to run my boxes to do the work for you, and pay the bills to run the boxes, the least you can do is make sure you have plenty of work readily available for them!!

Fozzie
04-21-2007, 04:00 AM
but that has nearly always been the BOINC issue as well as the quorum\ granted\claimed issues. You can run multiple projects on each instance of BOINC Manager, but not everyone wants to split their effort over multiple projects or wants to nurse their boxes.

Bring back DF and FAD I say. :(

alpha
04-21-2007, 07:49 AM
There are plenty of BOINC projects which always have plenty of work. Just because a project temporarily has no work available, doesn't mean it is a bad project or that they haven't planned forward properly.

Don't get me wrong, the DF days were glorious (though not without their own problems) but putting a project down for not always having work available is a bit unfair, especially when it has been discussed well in advance on their forum/message boards. BOINC is designed as it is so that you can share workload across projects, or have another project to fall back on. How many BOINC users do you think have only contributed to one project?

alpha
04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Bok, any chance of DCR/statstool love for this project?

em99010pepe
04-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Just a personal opinion bit I'm kinda thinking the Boinc projecs kind of stink since nanohive has no work right now! There supposed excuse is they're about to release the next WU's to be processed.Sorry, but my elecric bill is too high to run boxes for no reason!! They should have had this planed out months ago!!! I'm seriously considering shutting all my boxes down, and quitting d.c. for awhile! To me, if you want me to run my boxes to do the work for you, and pay the bills to run the boxes, the least you can do is make sure you have plenty of work readily available for them!!

Do you like math projects? If so please visit www.mersenneforum.org.

Carlos

jasong
05-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Just for info, I had a Zivis upload languishing in the upload/download window that was 289.1MB.

Why they thought this project was appropriate for the Internet, I'll never know.

alpha
05-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Didn't you get this email:

PS for foreigners: the new workunits _conTr_C1_cortas_ will need 250Mbytes of file space; we are sending only a very few but they could imply some disturbances in your upload bandwidth. Feel free to cancel them if you can allow for it.

The data is used to plot the plasma back in our laboratory.

Or this one:

We are launching some sets of calculations that generate a file of about 250Mbytes, very hard to upload if you are sharing an ADSL (but it fits throught if BOINC is the only application uploading).

If you can cope with this upload rate, please enable "Run test applications" in your user settings.

KWSN Sir CADCAM
05-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Will you be adding Zivis to the Statstool Config?

Bok
05-05-2007, 09:09 AM
I will. Hopefully on monday or tuesday of this week..

Bok
06-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Another BOINC project which sounds interesting. Account creation is disabled right now, but sounds like it might be coming in this week...

Cosmology@Home (http://cosmos.astro.uiuc.edu/cosmohome/)

Bok

jasong
06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Had to do a little detective work to figure out what they're studying, I'm fairly sure the following is what they're studying, but not 100% certain:

Answer: The Cosmic Microwave Background, or CMB, is essentially the "afterglow" of the Big Bang, the event which marks the beginning of the known universe. Discovered in the late 1960's by Penzias and Wilson (for which they won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2006), the CMB is a faint glow comprised of microwaves which appears uniformly bright across sky in every direction. This radiation, which was emitted when the entire Universe was merely 380,000 years old, provides a glimpse of the universe during its infancy, far before our Milky Way galaxy existed.

Although the CMB appears to be exactly the same everywhere we look, in the early 1990's the COBE satellite discovered small fluctuations in the intensity of the CMB radiation. These fluctuations are commonly referred to as the CMB anisotropy. Recently, anisotropies in the polarization of the CMB were also detected. Together, the CMB anisotropies hold valuable information which allows us insights into the structure of the early Universe, such as its density, geometry, and composition.

Bok
06-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Cosmology@Home news..

I just asked for an account.

June 7, 2007 Large-Scale Test and Limited Registration
Next week, we will be conducting a larger-scale test (greater than 50,000 workunits) of the project in order to see how it holds up under greater stress. It is vital that we test as many architectures as we can, so if you would like to participate in testing, send me an email at [skruger2 at uiuc dot edu] some time before Monday.