PDA

View Full Version : FluxBox vs BlackBox

Chinasaur
07-22-2002, 10:41 PM
1. What is the difference?

2. Why should I migrate to FluxBox vs BlackBox?

TIA

:cheers:

Kosh
07-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Fluxbox has a built in bbkeys type application.

There is also this tabs concept where you can group windows together, I don't use this extensively though.

The download is pretty light so I think the best idea is to try it out yourself. Its core is blackbox 0.61 so it's almost identical.

Also: it does have stuff like KDE and Gnome support but from what I understand you're not a big fan of those environments (neither am I) so it's unlikely you will even try those aspects.

I'm not sure that there would be a great deal to gain by moving from blackbox to fluxbox if you've already configured bb the way you want it. When I started playing with linux and window managers I tried fluxbox and blackbox. At that time I noticed with fluxbox I only had to install it but with bb I had to pick up the bbkeys helper app (personal preference, I like keyboard shortcuts). That's what made my decision.

I haven't tried the newer developments on bb (I didn't even know bb was still in development for a while) so if someone gives me a good reason I might switch back. :)

alpha
07-23-2002, 04:57 AM
Like Kosh said, fluxbox is basically blackbox with a bunch of extra features. I use blackbox and always have, and am on the mailing list. Blackbox has been under heavy development recently, latest beta is 0.65.0b3. The main developer works hard to fulfil requests if he thinks they are reasonable and the majority of users would benefit from it.

I hate the whole tabs idea in fluxbox, though I haven't really looked at it enough to comment on other features. Blackbox does everything I want it to and is a very powerful window manager in the right hands.

The best way to see which you like best is to try them both.

Edit: Take a peak at the Changelog in the latest beta, that should sway your decision somewhat!

Chinasaur
07-23-2002, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys.

I had looked at Fluxobox and couldn't tell any difference except for tabs which I turned off.

Appreciate the response :thumbs:

:cheers: