PDA

View Full Version : dfGUI v1.7 for Windows available (With Source)

Digital Parasite
07-23-2002, 05:45 PM
A new version of dfGUI has been released (v1.7) with support for the new use extra RAM to double the DF Client speed option. There are also come imporant bug fixes as well.

You can get it in the regular location:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/

v1.7 (July 23, 2002)
- Finally found benchmarking bug that would sometimes cause invalid benchmark data to appear. This would happen if the DF Client was writing to progress.txt at the exact same time dfGUI was trying to read from it getting partially written data (that is why I couldn't reproduce it). I have now put in a check for this and it should no longer happen. Special thanks to Joe O. and everyone else for helping me track down this bug.

- Fixed a couple of minor bugs I found while searching for the benchmarking problem.

- Added support for new Use RAM feature in DF Client that gives you twice the speed if you let it load the entire protein.trj file into memory (-rt & -rf). A 200AA protein would need 143MB RAM, a 150AA protein about 121MB and a 100AA protein about 89MB of RAM.

- Fixed Upload bug where dfGUI would not always wait for the DF Client to finish uploading before it tried to restart DF Client in regular mode.

MD5 Sums:
5116df56f87627a7c36c9e2766825594 dfGUIv17.zip
61ae7004d78030fccc9fe9926105a813 dfGUIv17src.zip

Everyone give a big hand to Joe O. on the Team Stir Fry team for spending days with me running debug code to track down all the dfGUI problems. :cheers: He also found out how to get Win95/98/ME boxes to automatically close their DOS box when you stop the DF Client:

Note: If you are using Win95/98/ME. To automatically close the DF Client DOS window when you stop the client, you need to configure the foldit.bat file to do so. Open Windows Explorer, right click on the foldit.bat file and select "properties". Choose the "program" tab. Check "Close on Exit" and then click on "OK". The DF Client DOS box will now close automatically when you stop the client. People running NT/2k/XP do not have to worry about this.

If you have any problems please let me know.

Jeff.

PY 222
07-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite

- Added support for new Use RAM feature in DF Client that gives you twice the speed if you let it load the entire protein.trj file into memory (-rt & -rf). A 200AA protein would need 143MB RAM, a 150AA protein about 121MB and a 100AA protein about 89MB of RAM.

Are there any difference between the -rt and -rf flag? In the readme.txt file, it only list -rt flag.

Can you please elaborate.

Digital Parasite
07-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Yeah, -rt means use the extra RAM and -rf means do not use the extra RAM. -rf is the default so you don't need to specify it at all.

Jeff.

PY 222
07-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

And thanks for the excellent dfGUI. Its a livesaver for 'us', lazy people :cheers:

GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
07-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi Jeff,
I only noticed this tonight...Why is it set to 0999? When the number of structures box is set to 5000? What is the link between them?
Cheers, Thanks for all your good work..:cheers:
ATB
NI!
GBSY

Digital Parasite
07-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
Hi Jeff,
I only noticed this tonight...Why is it set to 0999? When the number of structures box is set to 5000? What is the link between them?

The number of structures box is the box that dfGUI uses to show you how many structures remain in the bar graph.

The upload frequency is the box you can optionally set to tell the client when you start it using dfGUI to upload after that many structures. 999 is the default value that tells it to use what the server requests as the upload frequency (which most of the time is 5000). You will notice that if you select something in the upload frequency box and then click on the check box, the number of structures will box will then have the same value. If you uncheck it, it will go back to the default 5000 structures per upload.

Jeff.

GOLDENBALLSAINTYORK
07-24-2002, 07:17 AM
Cheers Jeff! :cheers:
ATB
GBSY