PDA

View Full Version : Speed

Chinasaur
07-23-2002, 09:03 PM
Remember to edit your foldit bat file to include "-rt" without the quotes if you have the RAM available. This client on will go twice as fast by using RAM as ...well.. a RAM disk :)

It may use up to 150MB of RAM per running instance. I went from 4.7% to 22% RAM usage on my boxes with 512MB.

Crunch on!!!

:cheers:

IronBits
07-23-2002, 09:19 PM
All but one proc, this server, are running with the -rt switch. :D

bwkaz
07-24-2002, 08:06 AM
:eek:

Holy cow, it is about twice as fast! Not that I seriously doubted it, but it still surprised me. The current 138-residue protein is running faster than the last one (was it 86? 83? something like that...) was running.

:|party|: :|party|:

Slo
07-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Hello...

I'm new to all this... I just received the new update... I installed the 1.7 dfgui... Where do I install the -rt ??? I can not find the foldit.bat file??? Also if you lead me to the file please descript where exactly to install th -rt...

I have windows xp home and I downloaded the text version...

Thanks,

Slo...

magnav0x
07-24-2002, 03:04 PM
either this new protien is doing it or the -rt is doing it...but after a while the client will just cease to crunch at all.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
07-24-2002, 03:07 PM
Are you sure that the client isn't just "backtracking" and working on a low-energy value? I had a machine look like it stopped working, but after it finally finished (progress.txt didn't update for over 4 hours) and uploaded I had a new low energy protein.

Just a possibility.

Ni!

ColinT
07-24-2002, 03:34 PM
I haven't been following Df lately. Is there a a new client ? When did it come out? Should I open foldit bat in a text editor and put -rt someplace? Or add the -rt to the shortcut like everything else?

Is there a writeup about this?

Angus
07-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Colin ...

You don't need to know... at least until I have passed you. :)

Add the -rt switch to the .\foldtrajlite line in the foldit.bat file.

Or, if you get the new version of dfGUI, there is a 'Use Extra Ram' checkbox.

Have at it.

My P2 and P3 systems with only 128MB of RAM run SLOWER with the -rt switch. :bang:

MashRinx
07-24-2002, 06:05 PM
My P2 and P3 systems with only 128MB of RAM run SLOWER with the -rt switch

That actually make sense, since the client is probably is going to need to use virtual memory at some point, and would probably end up thrashing the hard-drive... Just my theory. I'm only going to touch the machines that have 512+ MB RAM, personally...
Just my 2 cents...

Mash

Chinasaur
07-24-2002, 07:07 PM
This "feature" was included by Howard in the latest protein change file.

Either add the -rt to foldit or use the extra ram switch.

Read about it in the DF Forum or go to distributedfolding.com and look at news.

One thing, I had a client that updated successfully to the new protein but would NOT accept the -rt (who knows..entropy most likely) so if your RAM does not increase greatly after restarting just download the newest protein, erase old and restart with -rt.

Kosh
07-24-2002, 07:49 PM
My linux clients can usually manage -rt with 256 megs of ram (with X, xmms, mozilla and sylpheed running). I'm still watching my celeron box with 256 megs of ram running WinXP, it's cutting it pretty close so I think I might turn it off (it's still helping for the moment but if someone tries to use it then I can't imagine good things happening).

Or maybe it's time for an OS change :jester:

Angus, don't worry about your low memory boxes they're doing just fine. :p

Angus
07-24-2002, 08:33 PM
Angus, don't worry about your low memory boxes they're doing just fine.

Thanks, Kosh

I won't bother myself then with the sack of DIMMS that landed on my desk for 'lab PC upgrades'.

Suppressed in Seattle

Angus

Kosh
07-24-2002, 10:10 PM
:bang: ... at least your server shipment hasn't arrived yet.

Ok, upgrade your boxes, but no sneaky changing the OS to linux while I'm not looking. :)

I'm sure the team will benefit from your upgrade. :cheers:

Scoofy12
07-29-2002, 01:03 AM
Just thought i'd share that my dual celery box with but 256 megs of ram is happily running TWO copies of DF with the -rt switch and NOT swapping at all. Also my main home box, also with 256, is running one copy along with KDE, Opera, Gaim, Kmail and XMMS and also not swapping. Boy, do I love Linux. :thumbs:

Just to be fair, i have reports from friends that WXP runs the service with -rt along with whatever's under the GUI hood and a few other programs on 256 with no problems as well

Dyyryath
07-29-2002, 02:00 AM
I second what Scoofy said. I've got three dual Celerons ranging from 300s up to 600s and they're each running two copies of the client with the -rt switch.

The 300s and 433s each have 256mb of RAM, the 600s have 512mb of RAM.

Chinasaur
07-29-2002, 04:07 AM
My Debian dual box w/256 can do two -rt instances w/out swapping. Window manager = FluxBox

My SuSE 8.0 dual box w/ 256 kills the 2nd -rt instance after a few seconds. Window manager = Window Maker

YMMV.

:cheers: