PDA

View Full Version : Has DPAD burnt it's boats

Fozzie
06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I know I have lost confidence in this project and it's validity.

It seems a lot of others have too.

I'll be flushing the boxes I have as they are moved elsewhere.

Adios DPAD. :bang:

em99010pepe
06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I know I have lost confidence in this project and it's validity.

It seems a lot of others have too.

I'll be flushing the boxes I have as they are moved elsewhere.

Adios DPAD. :bang:

I lost confidence along time ago when the administrator decided not to move my points to Free-DC team.

Carlos

birdman2584
06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Stats seem too random and unstable...Havent run it for awhile now.

Jeff
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I've lost faith in most projects to be honest. :(

Only good that has come of it is my electric usage last month was 670kwh... normally I'm in the 1100-1300 range. ;)

Digital Parasite
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I've been away for a couple of weeks, what has been going on? I see that in my stats I keep seeing positive and negative points even though I haven't dumped anything in a few weeks. Are the stats all out of whack now?

JustEmazing
06-07-2007, 11:32 AM
No more DPAD here. If I happen around to the machines still running it. I'll remove it.

Bok
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Something has gone wrong again. I'm helping Stephen fix it up at the moment..

Bok

LAURENU2
06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Something has gone wrong again. I'm helping Stephen fix it up at the moment..

Bok
See I told you he needed help :cheers:
:umm: Don't forget to look for that
1M+ dump You did on the day of the crash :hifi:

Amaroque
06-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I dumped everything (should have benn more then 30 mill) stupid DPAD.

Now I need a new a new project to compete with Free-DC. ;)

lets play....

LAURENU2
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM

lets play....

:moon::Pokes: :moon:

HaloJones
06-08-2007, 03:28 AM
I know we're all a bit ticked off at the moment but the stats are back, the guy is showing a higher degree of urgency to fix things and the science is still there. Don't all drop this in a fit of pique!

I for one have found no other DC project for those who are forced to sneakernet that is as easy to run off-line.

em99010pepe
06-08-2007, 03:46 AM
I for one have found no other DC project for those who are forced to sneakernet that is as easy to run off-line.

You'll find here (http://www.mersenneforum.org/) a bunch of them.

alpha
06-08-2007, 04:39 AM

Either of the distributed.net projects. RC5-72 can generate random work units so does not require an internet connection except for dumping. OGR-25 needs work to be fetched but you can load it up with a few thousand to last a while. The client is very sneakernet friendly. You could even take both projects on, prioritising OGR work so that when it runs out it starts crunching random RC5-72 packets.

Having said that, Bear in mind that RSA ended the challenge (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12391) so there is no prize money for RC5-72 any more and it is currently unknown if the project will run to completion or not.

Amaroque
06-08-2007, 07:25 AM
I know we're all a bit ticked off at the moment but the stats are back, the guy is showing a higher degree of urgency to fix things and the science is still there. Don't all drop this in a fit of pique!

True Mike, but if the stats are that fubar'd who's to say the science isn't?

Dustin

Amaroque
06-08-2007, 07:41 AM

lets play....
Looking furtther... Actually it should have been about 15-18 M.

Stupid DPAD still.

meep
06-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Frustrating yes, worth forgetting, I do not think so - while I am quite happy to let the offline nodes quietly get on with it, I do want this resolved soon'ish.

Good to see Bok has time to get involved and help him out, would you be able to keep us posted regarding the stats or loss of them?

Once resolved, I think Stephen needs to look into ways to ensure this type of outage does not occur again, important considering the number of active DPAD crunchers pre-$$$$up. If he does, I think this could once again be a worthwhile and suitably competitive project.

Bok
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM
He should have posted the losses back as of yesterday.

I produced a list of every user between two hours which showed the full discrepancies...

Bok :thumbs:

HaloJones
06-09-2007, 04:31 AM
Nice one! To me, the stats look about right and although we can all be thoroughly pissed off, there's another way of looking at this.

If Stephen spent all his time being good at IT and making doubly certain stuff like this couldn't happen, who would be using the results for any science?

Some of you are using his IT incompetence to question his scientific research when, if you look at a different way, his IT incompetence shows his focus is on his research and not your stats.

LAURENU2
06-09-2007, 05:03 AM
If Stephen spent all his time being good at IT and making doubly certain stuff like this couldn't happen, who would be using the results for any science?

Then perhaps Stephen should realize that the project might be growing past his limit to control all of it.
Perhaps he could share the load so he could focus on his research and not our stats

I liked DPAD it is vary easy And I still run it on 30+ nodes here But I am holding back on U/L till I feel all is well again

HaloJones
06-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Fair enough; I have a million + in the bank awaiting some stability.

HaloJones
06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I'm satisfied that stability to the stats is back so I dumped. I know Stephen screwed up but can those still crunching dump so he can see we're still working for him?

LAURENU2
06-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm satisfied that stability to the stats is back so I dumped.
I am still not to sure about the stability to the stats
I instructed 1 node to work and send in W/U for the past 3 days
DPAD has only posted to the record on 1 day of the 3
and posted 2 days worth of my points in that 1 post.

To Me this does not seem to be a stability in the stats:bang:

HaloJones
06-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Don't forget that some of the results collection servers are not in Stephen's control. If you want to ensure it's his fault, edit your servers.csv so that only his servers are listed; otherwise you could be blaming him for something he can't control.

LAURENU2
06-18-2007, 10:28 PM
otherwise you could be blaming him for something he can't control.

Well you know they say S&!^ will run down hill
But I am not casting blame toward Stephen:thumbs:
There is no gain in that.
I at times may be blunt in my opinion when I see
things that could use improvement.

I am watching the Stats And I am adding more nodes
back to DPAD

As for

edit your servers.csv so that only his servers are listed;
I am not sure that would be a good idea
My last U/L was about 500+ Mb and took almost 2 days to complete
I would hate to break his new server:rotfl:

HaloJones
06-19-2007, 03:16 AM
My last U/L was about 500+ Mb and took almost 2 days to complete
I would hate to break his new server:rotfl:

But don't you see that your problems (and to a much lesser extent mine) with his infrastructure is that as the biggest producer by far, the systems are not geared for your situation. The guy with a single PC or maybe two, who uploads results automatically in little dribs, that's who his collection infrastructure is designed for.

Like you, I run offline systems and upload once a week at most. Yet the "manualsend.bat" file is woeful at it. "Muon -s"!? That's it? How often does that result in a complete upload of the entire results.txt? Ever? Never!

But when you do upload 500MB of results, is it surprising that his servers a) take a long time to receive them and b) a long time to process them? And that maybe one or two MB of that isn't picked up?

I don't want to put you down; the amount of effort you put into this little project is amazing and deserves respect. Have you thought of deploying a collection server in your own network so that it can send results to Stephen in much larger packets?

alpha
06-19-2007, 04:59 AM
I don't think any of that is something the user should be concerned with. No project should ever have a problem with a single participant producing "too much". If it does, it needs to be fixed. After all, if Lauren can be bothered with the effort and finance to get that work done in the first place, the project admin should make the effort to ensure all of the results are received successfully.

Also:

Originally Posted by HaloJones
Don't forget that some of the results collection servers are not in Stephen's control. If you want to ensure it's his fault, edit your servers.csv so that only his servers are listed; otherwise you could be blaming him for something he can't control. This is also Stephen's problem. It doesn't matter that he isn't running all of the result collection servers - if any results for his project are getting lost it is his concern, even if it means getting that server disabled until problems are resolved.

LAURENU2
06-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't want to put you down; the amount of effort you put into this little project is amazing and deserves respect. Have you thought of deploying a collection server in your own network so that it can send results to Stephen in much larger packets?

Listen I have offed my resources that I here and the ones at my website to Stephen to use as a backup or stat server
I think I have over 2 Tb of storage here
He gave no response to it
I also gave him my thoughts on how a DC project should be handled as for doing backups and keeping the membership appraised of outages
I am not sure he was really open to that at all
But thats OK it is his baby to run.

I hope your not blaming me for lack of member participation in this project at this time.

meep
06-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Lauren,

I do not think anyone here is questioning your commitment to the project! ..although you have been slacking lately :) :Pokes:

I think lots of us could offer Stephen something to assist with stats collection and so reliability - considering the amount of nodes you have it would make perfect sense to host your own collection server and allow Stephen to collect the results stored on it in a controlled way...

If he wants everyone to continue and crunch DPAD, and those running offline nodes like myself keep making trips to collect the results, then we need to see some improvements his end. But more importantly some feedback to crunchers like Lauren, who keep him chocked full of results!

HaloJones
06-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm trying to be constructive. If that's not how it reads, I apologise and I'm certainly not blaming anyone for anything! I've been DC'ing for ten years on various projects and all DC'ers know that projects come and go and wax and wane. Genome@Home anyone? Distributed Folding? DF had atrocious issues every time they switched the weekly work units but we kept on with it because we thought it was worthwhile.

Now I'm not having a go at Free-DC or any other DPAD team. Hell, I'm a one-man team so I can hardly complain. All I'm asking is for those who are still crunching to send a little candy to Stephen so he can see that there is some commitment from our end. I totally agree that he is unresponsive to offers of help and seems to delight in the stats regularly screwing up but if there is anything that can be done our end, shouldn't we try to do it?

maybe I should just butt out...

http://stephenbrooks.org/forum/?forum=2&bork=xupopwqfkc

LAURENU2
06-19-2007, 09:16 PM
All I'm asking is for those who are still crunching to send a little candy to Stephen so he can see that there is some commitment from our end.
maybe I should just butt out...

http://stephenbrooks.org/forum/?forum=2&bork=xupopwqfkc

OK :banana: Candy :banana: is on its way

Nice letter HaloJones :thumbs: keep up the good work:hifi:

HaloJones
06-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Anyone want to help me out in the thread I linked?

em99010pepe
06-20-2007, 04:45 PM

I can help but on a negative side....

Carlos

LAURENU2
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
There may not be a need to push it any more
Just expressing your thoughts there in a open forum Might be enough
We all learn from life , some just faster then others.

I have found in the past If you tend to push to hard in a open forum
it will draw some people to post a negative tward your posting.
And negate any good you are trying to put porth