PDA

View Full Version : Neat Effect

Paratima
08-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I just got sucked in (by Bok) to running Cosmos @ Home by way of BOINC. See thread in the Lobby.

So, I set up one of my boxen with BOINC and set it to use 100% of the CPU on Cosmos, not noticing that I still had EON running in the background.

:eek: Lo and behold, the two DC's are splitting the CPU pretty cleanly right down the middle: 50/50. Whenever EON goes into ZZZ mode, Cosmos grabs the throttle and takes off. EON comes back - back it goes to 50/50 split.

I LIKE IT! :D Surely, I'm not the first to do this, but I sure hadn't read about it around here. I love EON, but those damn ZZZ's...

In the perfect world, EON would get in tight with BOINC and we could tune to our heart's content. Meanwhile, for me, this'll do. :thumbs: Y'all do whatever ya want.

jasong
08-04-2007, 08:21 PM
You didn't say what OS you were running, so I'll assume a Windows flavor.

If anybody has a project that they want to get along with Eon, running both programs with the same priority in Linux splits things 50/50.(it's open source, so people decided to actually give a damn about what the user wanted)

If you have a computer that's just a cruncher, but has a Windows installation that you don't want to wipe, and you're willing to take the time to work out the bugs: Run Eon and a second program with a thumb drive. When you get sick of the setup and want to go back to Windows just unplug the thumb drive and reboot. It is preferable if the USB located files get updated infrequently.

For instructions on making a bootable Linux thumb drive, go here (http://www.althack.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=27) and scan the page for the appropriate link.

Paratima
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks, Jason. I was just delighted to find such a simple solution that worked so well, especially under Windoze. This particular box runs W2K, but I get the same result on XP. :drums:

Fozzie
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
to run one Eon instance alongside some of my BOINC enabled boxen.

Not great numbers but I can't stand the Zzzzzs

Paratima
08-12-2007, 05:41 PM
for the ever-so-troublesome ZZZ's!

:smoking:

I don't watch it.

Thank you for running any instances of EON, whatsoever, under any conditions. I still think it's a worthwhile project that needs supporting, however painful it may be.

em99010pepe
08-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Running eOn solo I think the best way is to run at least 5 instances per core. I'm doing that!!!!

Carlos