PDA

View Full Version : Tyan S2460 and non-registered RAM

Chinasaur
07-26-2002, 05:53 PM
Anyone..

I can boot both my dual S2460's with two sticks of 256MB PC2100 non-registered but DF quits after a few seconds when run on it. Crucial PC2100.

Question: Is anyone running generic PC2100 on an S2460 with more than one chip? If so, what kind? I know this has been beaten to death on other boards but I'm not having lockup/stability probs..DF just won't run..which in a way is a stability issue but... :jester:

TIA.

:cheers:

JTrinkle
07-26-2002, 06:11 PM
China,
are you using slots 1 & 3 for the 2 sticks?

does it crash with only 1 stick in?
you might want to move sticks around to see if you have a bad stick.
One of mine died in my S2460 and it was the Reg ECC stuff. a new stick from Crucial fixed it.

-JT

Chinasaur
07-26-2002, 07:12 PM
JT,

Both my 2460's will boot with the RAM in 1 and 2 and 1 and 3 but exhibit odd behavior afterwards.

The box with the Reg ECC chip won't boot if non-reg RAM is installed along with it. The other box boots on one stick of non-reg and runs fine.... so it's just a weird situation.

All three sticks work in either machine...so it's the boards I have that don't like non-reg RAM.

No biggee..it does say "use only registered ram" in the manual :) Was trying to get my DF clients hyped up on the cheap

IronBits
07-26-2002, 07:45 PM
I just put my 2nd ECC Reg DDR in the 3rd slot on the 2nd Dual, I'll let you know how it goes...

ALSO - check the MP version level in the BIOS.
Set it to version 1.1 not 1.4!

Because this board is ECC aware, you can't mix ECC with non-ECC.

/me looks in manual - it says on page 21
For 256mb DDR SDRAM modules - use slots 1 & 3
Good luck! :cheers:

Chinasaur
08-15-2002, 07:57 AM
:jester:

This is a trip...Going completely against what the mobo manual says to do or should work...

My main S2460 is stable and works only with the chips in slots 1 and 2.

My other S2460 is only stable with chips in slots 2 and 3.

:spray: :crazy:

IronBits
08-15-2002, 10:04 AM
My 3rd S2460 arrived DOA.
If I put memory in slot 1 and/or 3, it won't POST or beep.
If I remove all memory, it does the error code beeps.
Got my replacement RMA yesterday.
SAME DAMN thing :swear:
When I get home this evening, I'll try putting 1 stick in slot 2 or 4 and see if it will come up that way.
Thanks for the information Chinasaur!

Also, while trying to figure out what was wrong with it,
I discovered my 2nd S2460 was running at the 200mhz FSB.
I changed the jumpers to the 266mhz FSB and it kept going just fine, at full speed.
A slight boost from 1.2 GHz to 1.6 GHz. :jester:

Chinasaur
08-18-2002, 12:13 AM
ok..here's the latest...

I had an ATI Rage 128 Pro Theatre card in the locking/freezing box..AGP type.

I suspected an AGP problem for some time with other OS's (the freezing was a clue)..so I bought an old cheap TNT2 and put it in.

Immediately the RAM config died...so I did what I did a looong time ago to clear S2460's.

1. Remove RAM.
2. Reset CMOS jumper and/or pull battery.
3. Reboot without RAM. Turn off.
4. Reset CMOS jumper and/or pull battery
5. Insert RAM into slot 1 and 3
6. Restart

4 days straight and no lockup problems.

So I think the combo of PCI vid card and clearing CMOS (which works on other S2460) worked here. Clearing CMOS always helps my RAM problems if I change DIMMS or configuration.

Siorry for your DOA problems IronBits..hopefully the third one will be ok