PDA

View Full Version : Length of best known Golomb Ruler 25? Just freakin' tell me!!!

jasong
08-12-2007, 05:19 PM
You'd think that a project trying to find an Optimal Golomb Ruler for 25 marks would have on it's site, SOMEWHERE, the best known at the moment, as well as the last time the statistic was updated.

In the Wiki under 'What is the most optimal ruler found by d.net so far?' we find this nugget of wisdom:

The client does not attempt to compute or determine the "optimality" of the rulers it is evaluating. It instead only evaluates rulers to see if they are better than the best ruler speculated by mathematicians. As soon as a ruler (node) is determined to definitely be no better than best-known one, full computation of that ruler's optimality is discontinued and the next node is attempted. As such, the client will only transmit a "success" when it believes it has found one that is better.
It's like they're TRYING to piss people off.

alpha
08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
What's the point? There is only one OGR for each length - that which is most optimal.

Who cares what the most optimal is so far? It isn't the solution to the problem. We have to crunch all the stubs no matter what happens, this isn't like a needle in a haystack problem, where you can stop looking when it is found.

jasong
08-12-2007, 06:23 PM
I just think it would be nice to know the information, even if only to compare it to other Golomb Rulers.

LAURENU2
08-12-2007, 08:16 PM
jasong Perhaps you are just over looking the facts in front of you.
I think you give into your frustration to quickly
If you give up you will Never get what you want or
To where you set out to be
Have you tried to contact (E-mail) the Admins for the project to
get the Info you are seeking?:bonk:

jasong
08-13-2007, 12:08 AM
jasong Perhaps you are just over looking the facts in front of you.
I think you give into your frustration to quickly
If you give up you will Never get what you want or
To where you set out to be
Have you tried to contact (E-mail) the Admins for the project to
get the Info you are seeking?:bonk:
Actually, I already knew the information when I wrote this thread(480 units).

The thing is, even though I've never done a web page, I'm of the opinion that if it gets more than a few hits a day, a person should try to anticipate what the surfer wants to know. For example, if I started a page on what I call 'quirky primes'(primes that are normally worthless, except that the human psyche has found something appealing about them. Primes that are mostly zeros for instance.) I'd feel the need to list the ABC2 files for these numbers.

To be brutally honest, sometimes I just feel like making an ass of myself. ;)

wirthi
08-13-2007, 06:55 AM
jasong, perhaps you mind taking a look at http://www.distributed.net/ogr/ and the links on that page? Probably you find a link "a list of all the best known Golomb rulers up to 150 marks" that links to http://www.research.ibm.com/people/s/shearer/grtab.html

james
08-13-2007, 08:38 AM
To be brutally honest, sometimes I just feel like making an ass of myself. ;)

And do a damn good job of it 99.9% of the time. :)

LAURENU2
08-13-2007, 09:34 AM
To be brutally honest, sometimes I just feel like making an ass of myself.
Well you don't have to work vary hard at it Do You:lmao:

If you continue to cry wolf like this members will start to look the other way when you DO NEED HELP

alpha
08-13-2007, 12:44 PM
OGRs up to 150 marks have been predicted (with some success).

The 1967 prediction by John P. Robinson and Arthur J. Bernstein of a 24 mark OGR was confirmed by distributed.net's efforts.

It is suspected that the 1984 prediction by M. D. Atkinson and A. Hassenklover of a 25 mark OGR will be confirmed by the current search.

Wikipedia link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golomb_ruler#Known_optimal_Golomb_rulers)