PDA

View Full Version : Running Multiples

Paratima
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
To run multiple instances of EON under Windoze, I did it like this:

Get the files from the EON site and get registered, then:

I set up a directory I called EON1. Renamed client.exe to EON1.exe so I could track it in taskmanager if necessary. All you really need is:

client.exe (which I renamed)
client.cfg - contains your login stuff
key.pub - the client needs it
AlCli.dll - the "real" code, which changes from time to time as EON does updates. In fact, if this file is not the current one or is missing, the EON server with download the latest one for you.

Then I "send" a shortcut to EON1.exe to the desktop. It is set to start in directory EON1 automatically.

Now I make another directory EON2, copy everything over from EON1, and rename the executable EON2.exe. Send a shortcut to the desktop. Rinse and repeat.

Somewhere in there I leave a copy of eonguiclient.exe. It's got the neat little icon that I can use on my desktop. Just right-click on your shortcut, click on Properties - Change Icon and navigate it to the gui client file. Bob's your Uncle! :thumbs:

This is Windoze, other OS's are similar. If somebody wants to add instructions for another OS, have at it. Hope this helps.

paleseptember
09-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks Paratima :thumbs:

IronBits
09-21-2007, 06:54 PM
1) Download the client, make a directory called C:\dcprojects
2) cd \dcprojects
3) make a directory called EON
4) Extract the client you download into c:\dcprojects\EON
5) Edit c:\dcprojects\EON\Client.cfg with Notepad, not wordpad (thanks PCZ!)

Run this batch file first

@echo off
:: Filename: CreateEON.bat
:: Make necessary directory structures
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do mkdir \dcprojects\EON%%i
:: Copy all the files from EON directory to all the new directories just created
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do copy \dcprojects\EON \dcprojects\EON%%i /y
:: tell the user we done all that
echo Done!

Run this to start them up
@echo off
:: Filename: EonStart8.bat
:: get on the right drive letter
c:
:: start 8 Eon clients, one per directory
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do cd \dcprojects\eon%%i & start /min client.exe
:: tell the user we done that
echo Done!

This kills all the clients at once
@echo off
:: Filename: EonStop.bat
pskill client
:: If you don't have SysInternals pskill (and you should!)
:: or you might use this instead
TaskKill /IM client.exe

For my buddy Paratima, he can run this one to kill off all his clients
@echo off
:: Filename: KillEon.bat
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do taskkill /IM EON%%i.exe

Adjust the amount of clients you want between the parans. (1 2 3 4) would setup and start 4 clients
Most of you can take it from there I'm sure... ;)

Paratima
09-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Very cool! I just knew that someone out there had spent more time figuring it out than it could ever possibly be worth! :lmao:

Thanks, IB. Setting it up now. :clap:

LAURENU2
09-22-2007, 01:00 AM
1) Download the client, make a directory called C:\dcprojects
2) cd \dcprojects
3) make a directory called EON
4) Extract the client you download into c:\dcprojects\EON
5) Edit c:\dcprojects\EON\Client.cfg with Notepad, not wordpad (thanks PCZ!)

Run this batch file first

@echo off
:: Filename: CreateEON.bat
:: Make necessary directory structures
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do mkdir \dcprojects\EON%%i
:: Copy all the files from EON directory to all the new directories just created
for %%i in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) do copy \dcprojects\EON \dcprojects\EON%%i /y
:: tell the user we done all that
echo Done!

Darn I sure could have use this a week or so ago before I ran the Eon install program a 100 times..:bang: .:bang: .:bang:

Paratima
09-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Darn I sure could have use this a week or so ago before I ran the Eon install program a 100 times..:bang: .:bang: .:bang:
:rotfl: Been there, done that. Timing is everything! :jester:

IronBits
09-22-2007, 10:03 AM
All you have to do is ask, oh :looney: one. ;)
One of the things I do is manage lots of computers in real life.
I do silly quicky scripts in my sleep and would be more than happy to assist you when you want to roll out some projects... :)

One of these days you will have to hook me up with VNC to one of your boxes so I can see what you have/have not, and fix you up with some magic to keep an eye on them. :) Or at least attempt to...

jasong
09-25-2007, 09:41 PM
You know, IronBits, you could make various geeks very happy by systematically creating scripts that do different types of data mining, plus a script to track them.

Think about it. The scripts are tiny, so you could put one collection of all the scripts into one download, then give basic instructions on how to enable things. You might even be able to convince other geeks to update the scripts when they get "broken" for various reasons.

There could be a script that tracks shipping orders on the various sites, another script could deal with various DC stats that happen on a geek's LAN. And, when it comes to stock tracking, your scripts probably have a tiny RAM footprint when compared to some of the other stuff out there.

Of course there's probably already somebody out there that does this, but the trick is to "go viral" if I may use a tired phrase.

Edit: I've changed my mind, I want the glory. Me, me, ME!!! But, seriously, can you recommend some books for me to read? And make sure at least one has some useful stuff about recursive algorithms, hopefully something where I don't have to use a buttload of GOTO statements. (I wonder what I can find out about the distributed.net OGR algorithms?)