PDA

View Full Version : $1/Watt Solar Panels Will Soon See Commercial Use

IronBits
09-23-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=14932

Produced at less than $1 per watt, the panels will dramatically reduce the cost of generating solar electricity and could power homes and businesses around the globe with clean energy for roughly the same cost as traditionally generated electricity. Might just be the ticket! Laurenu2 could probably use some. :)

and for you stock junkies out there...

By 2010, solar cell manufacturing is expected to be a $25 billion-plus industry.

jasong
09-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I apologize for this question. Someone explained to me how this works, but I didn't remember a whole lot.

$1/watt. Now, I remember that this doesn't work the same way as a watt or kilowatt on your bill, but I'm still a little confused. If I were to spend a million dollars on this system, would it be able to generate a megawatt of power in an hour, day, or...what, at maximum power? And, yes, I know these things very seldom achieve maximum power.

IronBits
09-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Google is your friend, READ up on it and learn from professionals, not wannabies...

LAURENU2
09-23-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=14932

Might just be the ticket! Laurenu2 could probably use some. :)

and for you stock junkies out there...
I think I would have to buy my whole Block and cover it with panels on all the roofs to come close to me 90 amp/Hr need + a 100 tons of battery's to store

It Might be better just to train gerbil's to run on treadmills :jester:

Shish
09-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Depends on whether you could get a government subsidy or trade price on the food tho' Lauren :rotfl:Hope you get a lot more good sun than we are getting this year in the UK cos our black skies would make it a total waste of time.
Mind you, our NEW LABOUR government will give anything a subsidy if it makes them look GREENER nowadays. Maybe they should buy out the Green party???:jester:
That's probably more of an EU/UK joke Lauren.
I need to quote that article to my suppliers. It seems a lot cheaper in the US.

Petey
09-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Depends on whether you could get a government subsidy or trade price on the food tho' Lauren :rotfl:Hope you get a lot more good sun than we are getting this year in the UK cos our black skies would make it a total waste of time.
Mind you, our NEW LABOUR government will give anything a subsidy if it makes them look GREENER nowadays. Maybe they should buy out the Green party???:jester:

Hi Shish

I certainly got the joke :D

If you have kids like mine then solar water heating is probably a better bet (I reckon they will grow fins soon because of the amount of time they spend in the shower!)

Solar water heating works in much lower light levels and is claimed to produce 5 time more energy than solar power. It just isn't as sexy.

Petey

Shish
09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Bungalow is getting ground heatpump sys installed courtesy of service access to ex NCB shaft which is now full (20ft below surface) of nice water now they've stopped servicing the pumps plus 3 panels each of Solar heat and power and 2 micro windmills in the eaves (actually ex brand new vent fans for a welding shop which went bankrupt) doing double duty as intake/extract and pretty efficient generators with very little modding . Those things rotate with just a whisper of breeze and are very efficient even at very high wind speeds. All kind of fancy bits on the fans such as clutches and variable blades, rectified or raw whatever...and the vent system has big heat exchanger boxes in the attic to swap temp between incoming and out as well as water. Been planning and working it all out for years and I want to be as energy efficient as possible. Also had a lot of help from a big HVac company I helped with IT gear a while back. Just hope it all works as per designs cos I don't think a lot of it has been tried before. Grants are there but big pain in the Ars to get...just have to be obstinate.
All my kids have left home long ago but they keep coming back :cry: and grand kids might as well be mermaids.:looney: Reckon the house and systems will pay for themselves about 20 years after I die :rotfl:
That's if it ever gets finished cos this summer has been the worst ever. Mebbe in before or just after Xmas. Oh...got pretty good deal on power exchange with Scottish Power :) and a lot of help from them. Also helped I used to be IT Eng for the local council....not what you know but who....mostly.:Pokes:Had to "poke" a lot of people cos they worry about impact on the local area HAH.
Anyway, waiting for the rain to go away again so I can post nice long posts on here :cheers:. Got a problem this week with the supposedly water proof cellar not liking this amount of rain :confused:

dragongoddess
09-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Do you really think the Power Industry will allow Solar to become as cheap as it is.

Shish
09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey granny.....got an email still in "draft" and hakf done for you , just trying to get this stupid wireless keyboard to type in the keys I actually hit right and more than a couple minutes spare to finish my reply off.:o