PDA

View Full Version : Duel networks

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 01:54 AM
I am getting a 2nd DSL line to manage the computer in the Garage
and my house will have its own DSL line

I use to manage the garage useing vnc but that was when all my computers were on the same network
I was planing to have a Amin computer here with 2 nic cards one to eack network
But I am not sure how the IP will work with the 2 nic's and 2 DSL/networks.
And do the networks have to have differant network names
:umm: Anybody have any pointers

Fozzie
09-28-2007, 03:04 AM
you should be able to configure your ADSL routers to give out different DHCP scopes to your house and your garage. As the PC you will use for admin has 2 cards it should accept an address from each network and be able to see both.

PCZ
09-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Before the answers come the questions.

How is your existing DSL setup ?
Do your hosts get Public or Private IP's ?

Do your PC's have 192.168,xxx,xxx address's ? Private
Or are you allocated address's from a Public pool.

If your DSL modem has a public IP on the WAN and private address's on the inside a dual router set up is easy.

I'll describe this setup to you.
Decide what network to use at the backend.
I'll suggest 192.168.0.0 /24
/24 is mask 255.255.255.0

You'll need to be able to configure the routers.
If they are SOHO routers they will most likely only be configurable via a web page and you'll need to connect a host to the router so it can hand out an address and you http into the router from that.

Setup the routers with your username password etc so the DSL connects.
On the first router alter its lan ip to be 192.168.0.254 and enable the DHCP scope.
On the second router alter it's lan IP to be 192.168.0.253 and disable the DHCP scope.

Connect the lans of both routers to your switches.
Guess you have several switches linked together doesn't matter.
Set up your hosts to get IP by DHCP.

Now all your hosts will be getting IP address's handed out by the first router so they will all be using the same gateway.
You wan't to spread the load out a bit, so on some of your hosts go to the IP settings and alter the gateway to 192.168.0.253.
Advanced tab on the ip properties sheet.

Lauren you will have to learn a bit about networking if you want to run a Data Centre :D

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
PCZ thanks I think I understand:bang:
So the way to go is to just edit the config on each node and point them to the gateway I want, and they all will be on the same network:thumbs:
I think I understand
The 2nd DSL router just turns into a hub instead of a DCHP server.
And with this way I really do not need a admin PC with 2 nics to talk to both networks

PCZ
09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Yes that right i think
Sorry very drunk right now ask me again tommorow.

BTW
That post was harder to explain than doing the actual work would have been.
I do network configs on autopilot.

gopher_yarrowzoo
09-28-2007, 09:17 PM
The other way you could do it is removing the link between the garage and the house, altering the garage private ip range so it's 192.168.2.254 instead of 192.168.1.254 same subnet mask, gateway would be that garage router and the house router, the machine with the 2 nic in it, get's 2 ip's one in 192.168.1 range and the other in 192.168.2 range. set up a bridge between them and you should still be able to VNC to the other pc's just with a different IP and i'd personally FIX the "bridge pc" IP's so the routing is static... If that makes sense
I see what PCZ is getting at and I could probably do what I've just said on auto pilot too it's just easier to do and harder to do in some respect - networking how to make the simple - difficult oh no wait that's MS programming...

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Yes that right i think
Sorry very drunk right now ask me again tommorow.

BTW
That post was harder to explain than doing the actual work would have been.
I do network configs on autopilot.
Ya but I Never have seen heard or even knew there was or is a autopilot
Thank God I joined Free-DC:thumbs:

LAURENU2
09-28-2007, 10:44 PM
The other way you could do it is removing the link between the garage and the house, ...
This was how I first depicted how I was planing to run it I Think:confused:

Shish
09-29-2007, 11:30 AM
There are some routers for home use available which take 2 DSL lines and are easy to set up, can't remember the particular model names off hand but I've seen them advertised occasionally. The easiest way to set two home nets up with different ip ranges on 2 different routers is to use the routers for the dhcp and then, if you're using XP on the computer with 2 nics in (admin machine for VNC? etc.) just "bridge" the 2 nics in the Network Connections control panel. 'course using any of the other ways is probably as easy but as you don't need the security usually used on a commercial setup the bridging in XP is easy, just a right click on the network connection in the control panel and select "bridge this connection".
As the guys say, once you've been doing networking for a while, actually doing it is a lot easier than explaining to somebody how to do it which is why a lot of IT and network people just take the job off you and do it themselves cos the teaching bit is hard work with no auto pilot available.
Remote control of machines is easy over the 'net but remote control of people over the 'net to get them to do a job hasn't been figured out yet.:)

LAURENU2
09-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Well let me ask 1 more ??
If I use one router to Control the DCHP of all nodes
Will the call from any node to the INTERNET go through the DCHP router and then to the gateway
Or will the call just go the gateway that was assigned to it

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-03-2007, 02:07 AM
It should just go to the gateway router as your telling it, it's IP, giving it the subnet mask and also the gateway you could add the gateway directly to each of the ones you want to not go through the DHCP but as long as they setup right it should work, you'll just have to give PCZ the details and he could probably set it up blindfolded with one hand behind his back while sleeping :rotfl: