PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modem Connection Problems

AlluredBiT
01-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Anyone has experience with cable modems? Preferably from the ATT gobblins?

I have a modem that's keep powercycling through periods of hours .. then all begin to work fine. The gobblins deny that anything is wrong on their end, and I am sure there is nothing wrong on mine. Nevertheless, for a few days now I have hours of periods the modem just re-sets itself..

And of course..
the gobblins have a hefty list of about 30 'compatible' cable modem on their site - none of which avaliable in stores like CompUSA, BestBuy or Circuit City - have not tried RadioShack yet.. In any case, I was out there today to get a replacement, all in vain.. I would like to get a spare one to see if it is really the modem.

Any ideas?

outlnder
01-07-2002, 02:59 AM
If this is a Windows system, make sure that your DHCP is turned off under "WINS Config" in the Properties of your TCP/IP configuration in Network.

My Computer> Control Panel> Network> highlight TCP/IP> click on Properties> click on WINS Configuration> check Disable WINS Resolution

AlluredBiT
01-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Nay, there is a switch connected to the modem, which is 'approved' by ATT and it is also a DHCP server.. My workstations get their DHCP info from this Linksys switch..

I talked to the network admin at work, and he told me that the time-out in the browwer, then the resulting powercycle is a sure sign of problems in their switching center.. the modem, after trying to connect un-successfully n-times just re-sets itself..

In any case, I am back online, for now, which is a good thing since I have two classes started today online.

cheers,
sandor