PDA

View Full Version : Possible bug w/ -rt on Tru64

vsemaska
08-01-2002, 08:53 AM
I noticed that the client wouldn't run on my Tru64 systems. Looking at error.log I see this:

========================[ Aug 1, 2002 8:44 AM ]========================
FATAL ERROR: CoreLib [001.000] {ncbimem.c, line 327} Failed to allocate 64 bytes

I didn't have this problem with the last potein.

Thanks,
Vic

Brian the Fist
08-01-2002, 10:23 AM
You are probably using the '-rt' option and this protein is bigger, so it requires more RAM free.
If you don't have 150MB FREE RAM, you will not be able to use the '-rt' option so turn it off.

IronBits
08-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi Howard, I have a suggestion.
If you try to allocate the memory and it fails, can you just tell the client to ignore the -rt flag automatically?
This way it's an option IF there is enough memory, thus no errors if there isn't. ;) Maybe a warning in the error.log that says something like "You do not have enough memory for this protein to run with the -rt switch" ...
Thanks for all that you do!
Oh, and build guru that 64 bit client he wants/needs, we need all the help we can get. :D

vsemaska
08-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Howard,

Considering the systems I use have over 1GB of physical memory I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem.

Did a little research and came across ulimit (Sets or reports a resource limit). The 'soft' limits were just high enough for the previous protein but not high enough for the current one.

I added the following to the ./foldit script (which I run under ksh) to raise the soft limits up to the hard limits:

_amt=`ulimit -Hd`
ulimit -Sd $_amt
_amt=`ulimit -Hs`
ulimit -Ss $_amt
_amt=`ulimit -Hv`
ulimit -Sv $_amt
ulimit -aS
ulimit -aH

Now the -rt option works fine for the current protein. Thought you'd like to know.

Vic