PDA

View Full Version : Distributed Computing

Randy48
08-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi, Randy Sundquist here. I run a site called ExtremeDC ( http://www.extremedc.com ) In an on going effort to help promote Distributed Computing as a whole, we (ExtremeDC) have initiated a Distributed Computing Web Ring with two goals in mind.

1. To help promote Distributed Computing and increase exposure to the general public

2. Compile a listing of all Distributed Computing related sites in one location. These sites should include Teams, statistics, projects, and other DC related sites.

The closest we as a community have to this listing, is the site run by Kirk Pearson - Internet Based Distributed Computing http://www.aspenleaf.com/distributed/ Although an excellent site with many projects listed as well as listings of teams, it is not complete! With a Web Ring, each site can join and add the "Ring Link" to their main page increasing exposure to all related sites.

The Distributed Computing community is an elite group of people, providing a valuable resource to mankind. Although our numbers are large, it has taken many years to get here and the rate of "new DC'ers" joining our forces is very slow. With increased exposure, we as a community can grow at a much faster rate. This will benefit all DC Teams and projects a like!

To clarify one thing, ExtremeDC does not "own" this Ring! We will not benefit anymore then anyone else that joins this Ring, we simply created the Ring. By registering your site, you are promoting your Team, stats, or project!

As of right now, you can join from http://www.extremedc.com the Ring link in on the bottom left of the main page, Kirk Pearson's site http://www.aspenleaf.com/distributed/ , The ECCp-109 main page http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/eccp109/ and also http://www.chessbrain.net/cbindex.html

Thanks and hopefully this will help promote DC

Randy

ECL
08-06-2002, 02:52 PM
The other sites in this "ring" are just shilling for Extreme DC. The "distributed computing" links all lead to Extreme DC, which is described as "the Distributed Computing homepage."

So we have someone attempting to hijack the term "Distributed Computing" and he's trying to get us to help him.

Unless he changes his propaganda page to be entirely team-neutral (and learns how to use apostrophes correctly) I recommend we ignore him.

Randy48
08-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by ECL
The other sites in this "ring" are just shilling for Extreme DC. The "distributed computing" links all lead to Extreme DC, which is described as "the Distributed Computing homepage."

So we have someone attempting to hijack the term "Distributed Computing" and he's trying to get us to help him.

Unless he changes his propaganda page to be entirely team-neutral (and learns how to use apostrophes correctly) I recommend we ignore him.

Yoo English teacher, when the Ring was created, it automaticly inserts your URL into that position. When joining the Ring, someone with youtr amount of knowledge would surely know how to edit a bit of html to change a link in the snippet of code.

But to make life even easier for individuals such as yourself, the code has been changed to link to aspenleaf instead of XDC!
The sites already in the Ring just need to open thier page and edit that small block of html to link to themselves or where ever they wish!

You know ECL, I'm been working hard at trying to control my anger issues. I've only been to work for two hours and reading your twit bit of BS has me ready to choke the snot out of someone!

There are alot of good people over here that did as I nearly a year ago and broke away from the corporate site BS to create a DC Team. When you don't have a userbase to build a team from, you have to either steal from other teams and find people that don't know about DC and get them interested. This Web Ring is something we came up with at XDC that could benefit the entire DC community. What would you have me do ECL, create a web ring for distributed computing and register it from free-dc instead of extremedc?

Alpha_7
08-07-2002, 09:23 AM
I think a little more work on your anger management is required. We are a friendly community here, and don't abuse others for offering their opinion.

Randy48
08-07-2002, 10:01 AM
I agree on you being a friendly community, but ECL's remarks were totally un-called for! He/she made a distinct accusation without research, question, or reason

I completely respect Free-DC and I thought everyone here! There has been a link to Free-DC on my links page since your beginning!

As I stated, we are attempting to help the entire DC community, not just XDC. If there's a problem with something, bring it up! To the best of my knowledge, no one else has attempted anything like this, there certainly is no other DC web ring in exsistence.

If Free-DC would rather be left out and depend on people from Ars moving over to continue building their team that's fine with me. My intentions on a means to increase public awareness of DC is open and honest, I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I am doing my best!

As for my anger issues, they are pretty well under control, that minor "spark" directed at ECL for the unwarranted assualt on myself was nothing compared to what it would have been a month ago, ask some of your former compadres from Ars. A question or suggestion would have been well received, accusations and contempt for trying to do something good...

I'll tell you what, I won't come back to your forums, no need to reply to this thread any further. Iron Bits or another Team founder, I believe you can see what I'm trying to do for us all. It's up to you guys to decide if this web ring is a good thing or not. If you need any info, want to make suggestions, whatever, you know where to find me.

Have a good one!

IronBits
08-07-2002, 10:07 AM
Hi Randy, this is a family orientated forum, please keep it friendly.
I edited your message above...
Good luck with your webring !
I personally don't like any 'webring', I never click on or follow them, and, if I do see one, I never bookmark any site that is part of one, but, that's just my personal choice.

Alpha_7
08-07-2002, 10:39 AM
I'd just like to meantion that me and a large portion of my fellow DC'er here aren't from ARS... or like me have had nothing to do with them.

It troubles be that I keep getting pigeon-holed into a group I have no ties with.

I apologise, I've had no sleep, and this guys ruffled my feathers...

/Alpha returns to queit conformist mode :D