PDA

View Full Version : Problems with HideDF

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Alright I installed HideDF and set it up as a service following the directions at the KWSN site.

However, when the computer starts up I get an error saying that it cannot find foldit.bat. Foldit.bat and hidedf.exe are in the same folder. What gives?

Also foldtrajlite.exe does not shut down automatically when I shut down the pc. So in this case on one computer I get an error saying that I can't shut down the computer without closing the program and it asks if I would like to do that. On another computer it says that winoldap has created and error in kernel32.dll and will be shut down.

I hope you guys can help. I'm not on your team but I came to you becuase you have such a large team and a large amount of knowledge about the DF project.

Scoofy12
08-10-2002, 09:40 AM
A better way to hide the DF client is to use Jeff Gilchrist's DFGui (http://www.gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfgui). It has a radio button option to hide or show the client, along with other neat stuff.

As for shutting down automatically , what OS are you using? Sounds like you may be running w98, but you also said you installed hideDF "as a service" ? If you are running some flavor of NT, you could just install DF as a service to solve both of those problems at once.

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Yes, I am useing Windows 98 and switching OS is not an option. I got the HideDF program and instructions to install it as a service from here (http://www.katrinashome.com/howtohideit.html).

Does that DFGUI program run any slower or faster than the regular commandline client?

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 12:44 PM
hhmmm...I'm looking at the DFGUI program and it looks pretty good. However, I need to have nothing visible. Nothing in the task bar no windows open on screen nothing unless you hit ctrl-alt-del. A short-cut in the startup folder is alright but other than that the program must be hidden. Can this program do that?

Angus
08-10-2002, 12:58 PM
The beauty of dfGui is that you can open it, start your DF client using the settings in dfGui, then close dfGUI. The 'hidden' client keeps on crunching.

When you want to check the status, simply open dfGui again, and it will find the client and show you the status.

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 01:28 PM
Problem is I don't want to have to shut down DFGUI again after everytime I restart my computer. I want something I can setup and then leave alone.

Ok I've played around with the DFGUI program a little bit and here is what I think. It wouldn't save the settings if I closed it with foldtrajlite.exe running so it took several reconfigs before I finally got it to save and create the DFGUI.ini file.

My biggest problem now is that foldtrajlite.exe won't shutdown automatically when Windows 98 shuts down. I hit shut down or restart and I get an error box saying that foldtrajlite.exe must be shutdown before Windows can be shut down. If I can't fix this problem then I can't run this program on 4 of my computers. Someone here must run this on Windows 98, how did you fix this problem?

Angus
08-10-2002, 01:43 PM
My biggest problem now is that foldtrajlite.exe won't shutdown automatically when Windows 98 shuts down. I hit shut down or restart and I get an error box saying that foldtrajlite.exe must be shutdown before Windows can be shut down. If I can't fix this problem then I can't run this program on 4 of my computers. Someone here must run this on Windows 98, how did you fix this problem?

Are you by any chance trying to be that sneaky because you want to run this on PCs without permission? That won't get you much sympathy in the DC community. :spank:

If that's not the case, ignore this message. :crazy:

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Then I'll ignore that post.

No this is my fathers pc and he has given me permission but he doesn't want the program bothering him. I know he'll throw a fit if that window pops up everytime he goes to shutdown the computer. The other 3 I could get belong to my brother (2) and mother.

Darkness Productions
08-10-2002, 02:06 PM
You need to get the default.pif (?) file in the directory. See the bottom section of this page for more details.

http://www.wakeassoc.com/setidriver/Download_and_Installation.htm

Glen

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 02:14 PM
Ok thats for SETI?

All you have to do with SETI is locate the conagent.exe file in the windows system folder and uncheck the warn if still active box in the misc. properties window.

If this will work with DF though I'll try it.

You see I'm originally a SETI man who in a few days will hit the 10,000WU mark. I've decided to switch most of my computers over to DF now since I'm finding to to be more interesting at this point.

Baldy18
08-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Well I tried the _DEFAULT.pif file thing and while it may work with SETI it in no way worked for Distributed Folding.

jkeating
08-11-2002, 04:34 PM
HideDF is a modified version of another program I have to hide G@H and F@H. HideDF first looks for the foldtrajlite.lock file and deletes it if it exists, then it launches foldit.bat hidden; then HideDF shuts itself down... it does not continue running to monitor DF.

The Win9x "service" that you found on KWSN is not a true service as in NT/W2K/WinXP, mainly because Win9x doesn't support such a service. I use this "service"on a lot of corporate PCs with Win98 (yes, I have permission of the company owner, but you'd be amazed how possessive some users are of their company supplied equipment) because it will launch a program without using the StartUp directory... the StartUp directory is too easy for someone see and to change.

So now you have a hidden method of starting and running a DOS application... and the problem you have is shutting down hidden. This problem is not unique to DF... G@H and F@H have the same problem. The best solution I've found is changing the properties of the Conagent.exe file like you already mentioned. This has been successful for me with DF, G@H and F@H. This has always worked for me, but I have read that occasionally this still does not work on some machines. I have never tried the _DEFAULT.pif thingie...

Just in case you are not familiar with Conagent, go to Windows -> System and look for Conagent.exe. Some people modify the file in the System folder, although others COPY the file to the DC directory and modify it there. I have tried both locations and they both seem to work... which ever location you decide to use, right click on the file and go to Properties. Click on the Misc tab and UNcheck the box "Warn if still active". Click Apply and exit. You may have to reboot for this to take effect.

MAD-ness
08-11-2002, 11:00 PM
I too have this problem and Conagent.exe doesn't fix it (though on this particular computer it seemed to work for the Sengent client and SETI has no problems.

IronBits linked some sites, but in my limited perusal of them I haven't found anything that looks like it would help you circumvent this shutdown problem AND still make the DF client install totally invisible/trouble free.