PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Intelligence System

jasong
01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Apparently, I'm the first Free-DC member to sign up to crunch the Artificial Intelligence Project, so I'll make some comments about it.

First, let me say I have been attached for less than an hour, and only discovered the links common to all BOINC projects in the last five minutes. It is an understatement to say that they are difficult to find. To find them, go here (http://www.intelligencerealm.com/aisystem/system.php) and search the page very, VERY carefully. They're in there, but they're hidden pretty well. Since they were so difficult to find, I'm not familiar with the peculiarities of this particular project, so my observations may be inaccurate.

First, the workunits I'm assigned are HUGE downloads, they're each about 20.2MB and they take about 4.5 minutes to crunch, so if you have limited bandwidth, you either need to hope there is other stuff available or stay away. My cable connection can barely keep my quad-core busy, I added Riesel Sieve with a share of 1 in case the quad-core pulls ahead of the cable connection.

As far as the project is concerned, it seems like a pretty cool concept, they're trying to simulate brain activity. One thing I've wondered about, though deep discussion about this probably shouldn't be encouraged on this forum, is the possibility of terrorist attacks on this project from religious fanatics. As someone who has suffered from mental illness, and more specifically, religious fanatacism, I feel that they should really be concerned about this possibility. I don't know where their headquarters is, but if they don't have security, they either need to keep their exact location a closely guarded secret, or hire guards. That second option is probably not possible, they've commented that it's only a two-person project at the moment, so this could become a disaster very quickly.

Bok
01-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Actually I signed up for it some time ago, I just didn't use my standard password and it won't send me the key for some reason..

Stats are available at http://stats3.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=int

Bok