PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to monitor network clients?

Robor
08-15-2002, 06:16 PM
I'm a longtime SETI@Home workhorse and am switching some power to the Distributed Folding project. With SETI I can monitor my clients and daily production with SetiQ. Using the Stats and Clients tools I can check my previous days production sort the clients by last result to make sure they're all alive and busy. Is there a way to do this with Distributed Folding?

Since DF doesn't "queue" work like SetiQ I guess what I'm looking for is a tool that could look at all the progress.txt files of the clients and display their progress. I'd share out the DF directory of the clients of course.

Thanks!

xj10bt
08-15-2002, 09:26 PM
Here you go:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1313

Robor
08-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the post, xj10bt. I actually did do a search but came up empty. I may have searched for "queue" though. :confused: I'm going to give that proggie a try!

Robor
08-18-2002, 03:48 AM
I got KDFold working at home and I can monitor my other machine but tried with a few clients at work and they never showed up as producing in the program. :(

MashRinx
08-19-2002, 01:50 PM
The only thing I can think of that would cause you issues with seeing the machine at work when you are able to see eveything at home okay would be permissions issues...

Make sure that the box/user you are using has read permissions on the share you said you would create to access the folder that DF is sitting in..

Personally, I use the administrative shares to connect to remote boxes at work, but that's assuming you have administrative privs. on the network.... (also, if my memory serves correct, there are no C$ shares on a Win9x box, only NT4, 2000, XP....)

I'm probably telling you something you already know, but once I set everything up, it seemed to work okay. ... :) Hope some of this helps...

MashRinx

Robor
08-20-2002, 08:51 AM
I figured out my problem. It was one of those ID10T errors. :rolleyes:

I was using \\systemname\sharename$\progress.txt instead of just \\systemname\sharename$. I took the progress.txt off and the clients showed up right away.

Thanks for the help! :)