PDA

View Full Version : Gcc 3.2

felysium
08-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Will there be a new gcc3.2 optimized client in the future?
gcc3.2 offers optimalisation for sse, 3dnow and mmx...

Brian the Fist
08-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, obviously that won't affect the linux Intel cc version, and our Solaris, Irix, Tru64 and HPUX versions are all compiled with the native C compilers which should be better than gcc. So that leaves the Redhat 6.2 version (which obviously won't work with the new compiler).

When we get around to releasing a Redhat 7.3 (8.0 now?) version, we will certainly use the latest compiler and optimizations that come with it though. Maybe next month we'll have more time to get around to this.

m0ti
08-21-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't know if you're doing this now or not, but the client should really detect which hardware its using (i.e. which Chip), or check the hardware supported in another fashion (usually there's a query for that type of thing), and the appropriate module for that chip can then be used (MMX/3DNOW(+/Pro)/SSE/SSE2). Alternatively, it would be to provide different clients for different chips (e.g. a Pentium III version, an Athlon version, an AthlonXP version, a Pentium IV version). The code behind the clients would be identical, they'd just be compiled with a different flag (gcc 3.1/3.2 supports the use of choosing which chip to compile for which should make it easy).

Brian the Fist
08-21-2002, 09:11 PM
We have enough versions to manage as it is Im afraid.
The Linux RH 6.0 is built with gcc 2.9.5 I think and the RH 7.1 is built with the Intel icc compiler. Both use pentiumpro (i.e. P2) optimizations and I think the icc includes P3/P4 optimizations if it detects that it is running on such a CPU. We do nothing explicitly in our code though, it is all left to the compilers.

Scoofy12
08-22-2002, 12:27 AM
Not only that, but as howard has mentioned before, most of the algorithm's time is spent in 32-bit pointer traversal, which doesnt really lend itself to SIMD extensions such as MMX, 3DNow, SSE, AltiVec, etc.

Scotttheking
08-22-2002, 04:20 AM
Pretty much the same thing, will there be a new mac binary made with gcc3 (or is it already?)?