PDA

View Full Version : Two Processor support!

IronBits
08-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Yup, if you set "Threads: 2" in config.txt before you start running the client, it will use both processors, mostly to near-100% efficiency, but with occasional dips near the ends of the simulations where there few particles and it is harder to parallelise. But overall I'd think it utilises >90% of the MP juice.

Also you'll get faster animation on the graphics version - twice as fast for twice the total MHz. No need to run multiple instances. originally by Steven Brooks
in answer to the question " anyone knows if dual processor are much more efficient than single for this client? "
Dual lovin :D

DPRGI - Marzio
08-19-2002, 04:24 PM
hello Iron...

excuse me but if you put 2 thread in the config file you have not a perfect efficency.

i check it many time and the maximum is open two muon background istances and set the affinity for each processor...

about 30% more power in the same time...

excuse me again

Marzio

DPRGI

Stephen Brooks
08-21-2002, 11:50 AM
I don't recommend running two instances of this program, and particularly not in the same directory. The good thing about using dual processor support is that the results will be added all to the same results.dat, so you have _one_ program learning nearly twice as fast instead of two programs learning slowly.

For higher-scoring results, the CPU usage will be closer to 100% on a dual machine, so the initial low results might be less efficient.

DPRGI - Marzio
08-21-2002, 01:57 PM
of course in two different directory, not in the same.

i check this strategy 3 times and the results are the same.

if i change the config line thread = 2 i have less results that if i prepare two directory Muon1 and Muon2 and i start two muon_back .

bye

IronBits
01-22-2005, 07:07 PM
How about for HT capable systems.
Like Dual Xeons for instance...

What's the best setup under Windows 2000 Advanced Server where it sees all 4 processesors (2 physical 2 Logical) ?

muon1 - 2 threads
muon2 - 2 threads

or
muon1 - 1 thread (don't use logical proc) set afinity to proc 1 only
muon2 - 1 thread (don't use logical proc) set afinity to proc 2 only

or
muon - 2 threads
or
muon - 3 threads
or
muon - 4 threads

willy1
02-05-2005, 02:06 PM
No answers here...

I'll try it for a bit letting the client "do it's thing". Started the commandline version which found four logical processors, and seems to be hitting the box at almost 100% CPU.

Started about 9PM yesterday, so we'll see where that goes.

IronBits
02-05-2005, 03:59 PM
For my 1.6GHz dual xeon boxen, I found 2 instances did the most work for SOB.
Both procs kick out 1.3 McEMs/sec each or ~2.6 McEMs/sec per boxen :D

You are looking very strong so far :thumbs:
How many did you put on it and what are they?

willy1
02-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I put 5 dual HT Xeons on DPAD - each box is running four threads from one client.

Seems to be doing good so far!

:elephant:

<edit> Bok - Can you add DPAD to the sig block when you get back on this continent? thanks

IronBits
02-11-2005, 07:18 AM
I would like to encourage those of you running windows to give DPAD/Muon1 a try.
http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/

We could use a little help to move up the ladder as there is quite a gap between us and the next team.

Run it as a backup client to your current favorite client maybe? ...
Athlons appear to do very well on this one...

:cheers:

em99010pepe
03-05-2005, 06:23 PM
IronBits,

That's a huge 1,458,617Mpts :dump: .

Carlos

IronBits
03-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks to TeeJay :cheers:

Merlin45
07-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Just set it up on a Dual 2.0XP ( molded ) box.

It automatically configured 2 processors and is running at 100% processor usage.

Newest client automatically checks for 2 or more processors right?