PDA

View Full Version : Different value proteins - 69 and 69AA

runestar
08-21-2002, 06:23 PM
Howard et al.,

I'm finding through dfGUI that the protein size with the auto-update is 69AA. However, if you download at least either windows client, the protein size registers as 69?

They seem to act similar. Is this a last minute change or something someone forgot? Is there a difference between the two?

RuneStar½
PBB

Brian the Fist
08-21-2002, 09:03 PM
I have no control over what dfGUI prints

runestar
08-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Someone commented on this on the other thread. Supposedly getting the size is not entirely accurate on dfGUI. I just thought it was strange though that it would give two different values. Most people seem to be reporting 69AA.

I have noticed the numbers being off by one before when I first started and I thought maybe it was just a different protein.

I guess its no major concern though from what I hear... =)

TTFN,

RS½

P.S. What exactly does the "size" refer too?

MAD-ness
08-22-2002, 01:06 AM
This is covered in the "educational forum" in several threads.

It isn't hard to find out which amino acids are strung together in a given protein (or atleast not REALLY hard, for example, the human genome project has resulted in many new proteins (and thier amino acid chains) being known.

So, you have a given protein with a given number of Amino Acids and the sequence of these Amino Acids in the protein is also known. The HARD part is figuring out how the Amino Acids are arranged in 3d space when the protein "folds." Basically, we don't have a clue what the geometry (shape) of a protein of known sequence (the number, sequence and type of amino acids) will be.

Finding this out is a very very difficult science problem and Distributed Folding is attempting several new methods for helping to determine this.

The number refers to the number of amino acids in a given protein. The range which Distributed Folding is targeting (though it does process proteins outside of this range at times) is 120-160 Amino Acids, I believe.

Check the educational threads for all sorts of mindbending info on this stuff. :)

runestar
08-22-2002, 03:20 AM
Cool. Will do, I've only been on the project a little over two weeks or so, so I'm trying to play catch-up here. =)

I'm the unofficial DF person for PBB since I've been rallying to get some machines to the DF cause aside from myself. Managed to get a few people on the band wagon so to speak.

I'd like to get some of the other teams to stop by our folding forum (see the tagline for the link) to share their thoughts and knowledge on the project. =)

No reservations required...all you can eat... and feel free to bring a guest... amd you don't even need a tuxedo or gown.

TTFN,

RuneStar½
PBB

Digital Parasite
08-22-2002, 07:53 AM
runestar1/2: See this thread for an answer: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1386

Jeff.

runestar
08-22-2002, 02:39 PM
I'll pass along your response at our board. Thanks for the Info. =)

RS½
PBB

MAD-ness
08-22-2002, 07:18 PM
New participants and new teams are most definitely welcome. :)