PDA

View Full Version : Run F@H as a service

JPS
01-09-2002, 10:55 AM
I posted a HOWTO on running DC clients as services, in this case G@H or F@H, over in the G@H forum. Here is the linky (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=143)

Most of you already know this, but I posted it for the new guys...

p3ngu1nb0y
01-09-2002, 06:27 PM
I'd like to make a note about running F@H2 as a service...

It does work but if you kill it off it still leaves Core65.exe running...

Dyyryath
01-09-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm attempting to work out a good way to fix that now...

JPS
01-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Simple - use kill.exe to stop core65.exe.

It is available in the MS resource kit - among other sources.

If you need more info let me know...

megadose_
01-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Anyone have a good way to set up the service on 20 or more machines? I would probably change over and help out if I didn't have to spend the time redoing all my machines at work.

BNS
01-10-2002, 05:37 PM
I will hazard a guess and say this method doesn't work using XP and multi-user settings.

Everytime a user logs off, the F@H (or G@H maybe) service gets a sigterm 2 and dies.

I think it is something to do with the way F@H responds to what ever a sigterm is exactly.

Oh well, I will just have to keep running it under my Free-DC username specifically made for this purpose.

JPS
01-10-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by megadose_
Anyone have a good way to set up the service on 20 or more machines? I would probably change over and help out if I didn't have to spend the time redoing all my machines at work.

I am working on that right now using INSTSRV and SRVANY...but I am not having too much luck.

Gyro77
01-10-2002, 05:59 PM
Hey Dyy, weren't you the one that had the fold-control project at one time? Coudl that be easily updated to be used on FAH2? That is exactly the kind of util some of the farm types here could probably use to be much more productive.

Berg.the.Red
01-10-2002, 10:43 PM
... twice in one night i've been pimping lowcrawler ... :D

i've lost the link to Lowcrawlers stuff, but ...

Genome Service (www.btr.addr.com/genome_service_single.zip)

should give you some real good milage ( your actual milage may vary. excludes taxes, title and destination charges. ). i've used this to run genome and folding under NT v4.0. change the actual executable name for the program your installing.

megadose_
01-10-2002, 10:54 PM
I used lowcrawlers service for G@H and it works great until; you have to do it on 20+ machines. I'll just have to spend the time I guess.:)

Berg.the.Red
01-10-2002, 11:50 PM
i used it on fifty-something. i ran up a base Genome@Home directory, and a "Black-Ops" directory. had the reg and service files in the -Ops directory. copied both directories over ( admin shares are such wonderfull things :D ), and ran the install script. deleted the -Ops directory after i was done. it takes a little time an effort, but the stats are well worth the effort ... once you get the hang of it, it's pretty much - copy, cmd, delete - move along.

megadose_
01-11-2002, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I know I'm just a slacker is all:) I'll get off my duff and do it eventually. I have to get caught up with the new year stuff first.