PDA

View Full Version : CASP 8 is coming!

ronbo54
04-26-2008, 09:04 AM
From David Baker - "We are now trying to get the new version of rosetta up to speed (and more!) in time for CASP8 which starts in about a month. we will need to test new versions more rapidly than usual, and to make this possible without disrupting rosetta@home we would like to grow our test server RALPH. so if you are willing to tolerate test level code (which has a slightly higher frequency of crashing) please sign up on RALPH (we will be updating the executable as we make changes a couple of times a week so you will probably want to have a reasonably fast network connection). if you already split between rosetta and ralph, it would be helpful to increase your ralph time allotment. these adjustments are for the next month only--after this we should have a great new improved version of rosetta for rosetta@home that will be used for the casp8 targets. thanks! David"

This was posted April 4 (sorry, I haven't had much time to check their forums lately). They did just release the new version of miniRosetta a few days ago.

I set up a Free-DC team in RALPH last week (I thought we had one), but they haven't sent out much work lately.

They won CASP 7! :thumbs:

alpha
04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Hopefully we can make a big push for CASP 8. I'm in.

LAURENU2
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
what is the Start Date of CASP 8:confused:

alpha
04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Looks like not before May 5th 2008. (http://www.predictioncenter.org/casp8/index.cgi)

The first prediction targets will be released not earlier than May 5; the last prediction targets will be released not later than July 18; prediction season will end not later than August 1.

Helix_Von_Smelix
04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm in.

Will wait for it to start, hope someone lets me know:Pokes:

:cheers:

LAURENU2
04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Looks like not before May 5th 2008. (http://www.predictioncenter.org/casp8/index.cgi)
Darn My Network will be down from mid May for a month or so :cheers: Good luck on the Run:hifi:

Paratima
04-28-2008, 04:06 PM
We'll cover for you, Lauren. No prob. :thumbs: :thumbs:

(Anybody know where we can rent about a gazillion gigahertz for a month? :jester: )

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Sure, I'll go just borrow the dell call centre pc's they should just about cover it (that's after the minor accidental boost they'll end up with)...
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

LAURENU2
04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
We'll cover for you, Lauren. No prob. :thumbs: :thumbs:

(Anybody know where we can rent about a gazillion gigahertz for a month? :jester: )

ha:rotfl:ha you could try tweber@nucleabio.com working in OGR right now.
Looks like he has a gazillion and one gigahertz:rock:

alpha
04-30-2008, 02:12 AM
I believe his production comes from PS3s only, which Rosetta doesn't (yet) support.

LAURENU2
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I believe his production comes from PS3s only, which Rosetta doesn't (yet) support.

No S#%t He must have 25 or 30 of them
:allhail:

Digital Parasite
05-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Yes I can't wait for CASP8, the true test of protein prediction. It will be interesting to see how much of an improvement we make this time.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
The way i read it, CASP8 is being tested on RALPH but will run on ROSETTA

:Pokes::Pokes:

Anyone else think the same??

Paratima
05-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't quite understand all that, either. :looney:

IronBits
05-02-2008, 02:00 AM
No S#%t He must have 25 or 30 of them
:allhail: 35! :D

alpha
05-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I didn't quite understand all that, either. :looney:

What is there to not understand? RALPH is Rosetta's testing ground. Presumably they will need to release a new application version for when CASP comes around, and it will be (alpha, beta, whatever) tested on RALPH. We then get it in a hopefully stable condition on Rosetta.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I set up a Free-DC team in RALPH last week (I thought we had one), but they haven't sent out much work lately.

They won CASP 7! :thumbs:

This part put me on the wrong track^^^^, also not to much testing on RALPH and CASP8 going live on ROSETTA on the 5th.

I would have expected to see much more testing on RALPH, so they MUST expect to hit the ground running!!

Fingers crossed, as there will be a big ramp up went CASP8 is live.

ronbo54
05-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Sorry for the confusion.

The quote was taken from the Rosetta forum on April 4. The testing in RALPH (where they test new versions for Rosetta) on the new MiniRosetta client is finished and the new version is in use as of April 23.

"Version 1.15 of minirosetta is now released, which includes protocols for doing very fast optimization of multiple starting structures, improved methods for modeling protein structures based on constraints, and faster versions of our all-atom refinement protocol" from James Thompson at Rosetta forum

MiniRosetta is a complete rewrite of the Rosetta application and has been around in earlier versions in the Rosetta project since late February

I don't know, but they may use a combination of the new miniRosetta 1.15 and the Rosetta 5.96 version for CASP. I have been getting more miniRosetta work in the last few days

LAURENU2
05-02-2008, 02:38 PM
35! :D
He must be CRAZY like me:looney:

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
well, as CASP8 is starting on Monday i would think more info would be on the site!!

Paratima
05-05-2008, 12:54 PM
well, as CASP8 is starting on Monday i would think more info would be on the site!!
Most of these university-run projects are hit-and-miss in many departments, not least communications.

It's really a grab-bag. Most likely, if any of them were businesses, they'd soon be on the rocks. Lack of staff, money, expertise, communications, equipment... Who knows? Sure doesn't seem like it would kill anyone to put up the occasional blurb on the front page. Some of 'em do, when prodded. It usually lasts a few weeks and then they get SORRY, JUST SAW SOMETHING :reddress:

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
either last year, or the year before the start was all over the site for day in advance:Pokes::Pokes:

You would think something would be there!?!

What other sites are doing the CASP8 run??

we could look there, who ever starts first will be able to run the most work

:jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber:

:thumbs:

Paratima
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
After reading your post, saw POEM@Home posting about targets being released tomorrow. Check it out.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-05-2008, 04:31 PM
so should we run for Rosetta or POEM???

Am easy either way.

Must come down to who is doing the best work, but then again the under dog should get some help????

:confused::confused:

ronbo54
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't run POEM yet. I think it is just out of beta. What do those who have run it think?

I'm surprised there isn't more information on Rosetta too.

I see someone is getting work from RALPH though :cheers:

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Ralph>> i left a Quad asking for work, and didn't check it for a while.

Have just ran some wu's on poem. it runs fine, no graphics, but no problems.

I have a borg'ed dual quad server that i may let POEM run on.

Paratima
05-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Very cool. Borging is good. :borg:

alpha
05-06-2008, 03:26 AM
(subtle) CASP news at Rosetta:

May 05, 2008
The minirosetta application has been updated to version 1.19. This version introduces several bugfixes for our CASP8 abinitio and template-based modeling protocols. We'll be testing small batches of workunits this evening and tomorrow morning. For details, see this thread (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=1449), and please report bugs in this thread (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/forum_thread.php?id=4094).

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Just released on Rosetta site. will take a while to work through the server queue

POEM looks like they are emptying their queue before they release them

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
>> BOK, is there anyway that you can run seperate stats for the CASP8 run??

I know it will not be 100%, but may be a snap shot of last nights stats as the starting point. And as i'm asking, may be POEM too?

One other thing i am getting big conection time out problems to free-dc. getting worse over the last few days.

much worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paratima
05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
One other thing i am getting big conection time out problems to free-dc. getting worse over the last few days.
Second that. Not sure about the MUCH worse, but some anyway.

IronBits
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Bok is slammed at work this week...
Yes, I see that Cox dropped my connections a bunch of times this morning, lasting about 1 minute each time.
Probably a reset/reboot of the cable modem each time...

7:05am (Phoenix, AZ. Time of course)
7:29
8:03
8:32
9:25
9:56
12:31
12:35
12:45
12:49

But it seems to be working fine now.