PDA

View Full Version : Feature request for stoopid people

lonelyfrog
08-29-2002, 01:56 AM
Hi - I'm running a couple of non-networked pcs & transferring data using CDRWs. Normally I remember to change the file properties from read only before uploading, but yesterday I didn't & because the bz2 files aren't deleted I uploaded the same set 3 times thinking there was a problem (there was - it was me :p ). Could you check the file properties before upload & if it's read-only display a warning? a big red flashing "DATA FILES READ-ONLY DUMBASS" would do :D
or something like that :crazy:
Cheers ;)

runestar
08-29-2002, 03:37 AM
Why not just create a batch file to copy them from the CD-RW drive to whatever directory you want to upload them to, and then change the file attributes immediately after the copy?

You know you could just go out and buy some $10 nics too...

Best,

RuneStar½

lonelyfrog
08-29-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by runestar½
Why not just create a batch file to copy them from the CD-RW drive to whatever directory you want to upload them to, and then change the file attributes immediately after the copy?

You know you could just go out and buy some $10 nics too...

Best,

RuneStar½

Yes I could do that, but I'm working on the priciple that if I'm dumb enough to do it - someone else will (I could be mistaken though :p )
As for buying nics - that's not the problem, the 500 m is the problem...:(

danuitti
08-29-2002, 07:09 AM
I like runestar½'s first idea. Create and use a more foolproof batch file.

More goofproof is a good move.

Dan

markhl
08-29-2002, 01:59 PM
If the PC attached to the Net has a CD-RW drive and you transfer files on CD-RW media, then Windows may not mark the files as read-only.

If the PC attached to the Net has a CD-ROM drive and you use CD-R media, then Windows will mark the files as read-only.

Just a way to work around this issue; use different media? (Or some NICs and a hub.)

Best, Mark

runestar
08-29-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by lonelyfrog

Yes I could do that, but I'm working on the priciple that if I'm dumb enough to do it - someone else will (I could be mistaken though :p )
As for buying nics - that's not the problem, the 500 m is the problem...:(

500 m?

Seems some cheap nics would be a heck of a lot easier than running around writing CDs. I mean its getting to the point of being counter-productive running around burning a couple megabytes each onto a CD-R(W). ;) That's not to mention the wear and tear of the burners.

Best,

RuneStar½

runestar
08-29-2002, 07:53 PM
This a hassle, but there is a trick you can pull with ZIP 100 drives. You plug into the first system, fire up the system and then you can take the zip drive off once the O/S is loaded and goto another machine and do the same thing. I know this works at least using the parallel port but I suspect the SCSI should work too. This should work for both the orig. ZIP 100 and Zip Plus 100. I would think the newer ZIPs should do the same thing.

Now if you get an extension power cable, you could just go plugging into each computer parallel port. =)

Yeah, its a little crazy, but the geek points might be worth it. =)

RS½

xj10bt
09-11-2002, 07:00 PM
Maybe one of these would do the trick:

http://www.newegg.com/app/listProduct.asp?submit=list&catalog=144&DEPA=1&sortby=11&order=0

McGoff
09-13-2002, 07:06 AM
I use a usb flash drive to transfer my files

I have a 128 meg drive which is over kill a 32 meg drive would give you plenty of room to tranfer the whole DF folder even after a long caching run

what I do is have the client running no upload on the remote box
stop the client and move the whole folder to the usb flash drive
put the drive in the machine with net access edit the .bat file for uploading
run the client from the flash drive till it has updated/uploaded
then stop it, edit the bat file back to no upload
take it back to the no net box and move the whole folder back and re start from the hdd till I need to upload again

I move the folder instead of coping so as not to waste net time uploading duplicate data

by giving the folders differant names you could move 3-4 boxes at a time depending on the size of the flash drive

as a side note I'm not allowed to install programs on my work machine but they don't say anything about running something from a flash drive (remove the drive it is not installed :) )
there seem to be 10-15% drop in production running from the flash drive as opposed to a hdd drive (no cache and to many writes on the fast proteins the drive light never seems to stop flashing )

hope this helps

McGoff

runestar
09-14-2002, 06:37 AM
Did you see if the manufacturer offers any updated drivers/utilities to increase the performance?

You might try manually enabling caching if you are using Windows and see if that helps. It might be disabled by default. If its Linux, since its all command-line... I imagine you could just tell Linux to cache the drive along with the hard drives.

RuneStar½

Welnic
09-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by McGoff
I
...run the client from the flash drive till it has updated/uploaded
then stop it, edit the bat file back to no upload ...

...there seem to be 10-15% drop in production running from the flash drive as opposed to a hdd drive (no cache and to many writes on the fast proteins the drive light never seems to stop flashing )...

McGoff

If you copy the bat file as upload and then edit it so that it uploads you can just run that to upload the files.

If you add the switch -g 0 to your bat file it will stop writing to progress.txt everytime a fold is completed. That is what is hitting your hard drive.

runestar
09-14-2002, 04:47 PM
That will probably help quite a bit reducing the writes to the drive, assuming of course you don't care about checking the status... else if you do stretch the status writes (progress.txt) out as far as you can, based on how fast the machine is of course.

RS½