PDA

View Full Version : DF runs slower on WinXP than W2k/Win9X

FoBoT
08-31-2002, 01:50 AM
I have noticed that on the same hardware, only difference is the OS, the DF client produces less on Windows XP than W2k or Win9X

anybody want to tell me why?

IronBits
08-31-2002, 02:19 AM
My brother was just telling me that when he got home tonight, he decided to change the XP AOLer interface back to Classic.
He said he didn't expect to see the cpu temp drop 18F degrees almost imediately ! With the DF client still running.
If that's true, WOW :crazy:

Supp
08-31-2002, 05:18 AM
Hm, maybe because XP's crappy, slow, overgrown, immature and very bad OS?

:thumbs:

IronBits
08-31-2002, 10:07 AM
Scratch that... He sent me an email and said he checked it again and found out the client was NOT running... ignore my previous message please. :(

Paratima
08-31-2002, 02:00 PM
The DF client wasn't running??? :confused: How can a computer NOT be running DF?

IB, you need to tighten up on the controls!

IronBits
08-31-2002, 06:50 PM
No kidding!
It's a big fight just to stay in the top 20 overall ;)
I hope I get working motherboards returned from being RMA'd at newegg.com. This will be the 4th Dual (3 DOAs in a row) and this will be the 3rd Epox (x2 RMAs)
Some how I believe they have decided I'm the bad guy in all this.
When I called them last Wednesday because they had not acknowledged getting the UPS tracked shipment on Tuesday morning, they said it had not arrived yet.
They wanted me to prove to them I had done so. After providing the link to UPS showing they had indeed received them, he said he would forward it to the warehouse. I called again Thursday, still no email saying the mobo was received. Again I had to provide proof (new person), and that email got forwarded to the warehouse.
I called Friday morning, a girl answers, says they havn't received it yet and to try again tomorrow. I begin to explain the situation and click, she hung up.
I called right back, got a guy, said the warehouse hasn't processed it yet and it takes 2-3 days. When I explained about the above, he said there was nothing he could do other than tell the warehouse and I will just have to wait...
DOA mobos - arrives Friday DOA, send it back Monday, they get it back to me by Friday. It's DOA, send it back on Monday, new one arrives Friday. This one is also DOA and I request another RMA number, get it, and mail it out first thing Monday morning, they signed for it Tuesday at 10am, but they say they never received it.
So, I have two motherboards hung up there while they play their silly games, and 2 XP1800s remain idle going on 4 weeks now and the AMD 1.2 proc remains idle for 2 weeks now. ;(
Right when we have the two fastest proteins back to back to. :swear:

Paratima
08-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Right with you. When you start this stuff, you think, "Wouldn't it be great to have a big ol' pharm, and just watch the points rack up?" :sleepy:

Hah! It ain't even that easy for the big sysadmins, workin' their networks & servers, where most, if not all, of their hardware is the same, same OS, same apps, etc. There's still lots to keep ya busy.

For the small pharmer, it's restart this box, find out why that one hung up, put a new NIC card in the other one, oh jeez, there goes the damn ISP again!

...fun, ain't it? :smoking:

pfb
08-31-2002, 07:57 PM
/me goes slightly off-topic :p

makes me wanna stay with my 1 cruncher... :p

bwkaz
08-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Having 2 boxen isn't really bad either... but they're right next to each other, too, so that probably helps.

But a pharm of like 30 would be a bit worse...