PDA

View Full Version : Automated updates

Heri
08-31-2002, 10:36 PM
It is possible that the subject matter was discussed before, but I am interested to know if automated updates can be performed.

I am retired and footloose. In othert words, I may be gone for a few days maybe weeks and the PC here running on Linux could chuck away here and do some work. It is running on a UPS and would reboot if the power goes down.
As I am not a programmer, I am listening to suggestions as to how auto updates could be accomplished.
Thank you.
Heri

MAD-ness
09-01-2002, 01:37 AM
I am not a Linux guru so I can't give you an answer, but I will tell you that auto-updates can and should be done when possible and that there are many visitors to this forum who do some nifty things (beyond a simple auto-update) with the client running in Linux.

So hang in there until one or more of them reads this thread - there is help on the way. ;)

Halon50
09-01-2002, 01:48 AM
If you mean automatically recovering after your system reboots (or other problems arise), take a look at this thread from the Free-DC forums:

http://bane.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1443

jlandgr
09-01-2002, 07:37 AM
If you mean avoiding having to manually confirm updates, simply put a file named "autoupdate.cfg" with a single "1" in it in your distribfold directory.
Hope this helps,
Jerome

Heri
09-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Thank you for your replies. They were most helpful.

With respect to the reply from Halon 50, it seems to me that I would have to hit the books abd learn shell script.

You see, I am retired and no spring chicken and I may well be a recipient of all that protein research. Linux, however, is exiting and keeps the grey matter between my ears somewhat elastic. Accordingly, the occasional help from you guys is well appreciated.

Greetings from Ottawa,
Heri Riesbeck