PDA

View Full Version : SB v0.9.6 released

jjjjL
09-15-2002, 07:13 PM
The newest SB is done. Here are the main improvements:

+ Removed irrelivant min/max info boxes

+ Added an estimated time till completion for the test. (note: let me know if this ever seems to be horribly wrong. i just got it working today.)

+ Logging is now much more verbose. Added logging for even bizarre errors that should never occur. Should help with bug reports and the effort to create a monitor program.

+ Fixed a bug that would allow the cache file to be lost. This is actually just a work around for an underlying issue in XP/2k but all the same, it is important.

The main site doesn't mention it, but I also have code for multiple processor machines 80% done. Unfortuantely, I think that last 20% of the code i need will take a lot of time to get right so it is disabled in this release.

Oh, also, cEM/s is now more accurate... 10x more resolution than v0.92 and 1000x more that 0.94 and it actually takes less computation too.

To go along with that, the % meter has slightly less resolution... i have a feeling that it was using too many clock cycles updating it... it uses a much more intelligent update scheme than it employeed before.

Also, the client reports the % done if you hoover the mouse over the tray icon. :)

My next two projects are linking the site to the forum and compiling a new server that denys reports from v0.9.2 and lower.

That's about it. upgrade and post feedback.

-Louie (mailto:lhelm@umich.edu)
SB Creator

ColinT
09-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Hi Louie,

I put the new client on two boxes. I noticed a fairly large diffference in cEM/s on my P4. It was about 30K. Now it is 80K. It looks like it reflects the actual MHz more closely.

That P4 machine was doing WUs in 110 hours before, Now it is estimatingabout 20 hours. We will see:)

On my 1400 Tbird, there are no changes.

When I installed it on the p4, the the installer said there was a copy of SOB already running. I checked the task manager and yes, there was a second copy running. I've seen this before. It may be a bug.