PDA

View Full Version : Wish list for next SoB version

prokaryote
09-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Hello All,

First, I just want to thank Free-DC for providing a forum for SoB.

Onto the list:

1. Ablility to create teams with respect to the stats.
2. On the teams, to avoid jumping issues, have the units completed while belonging to a team stay with that team.
3. Tried to run SoB on a dual athlon system, with two install directories, but I'm not sure if this is working. I just have one client running at this time.

Not sure if this is the place for the above.

Thanks,

prok.

jjjjL
09-17-2002, 09:27 PM
yeah, i want to do the team stats that way when teams are ready.

as for the dual machine, it won't work with two copies of v.96. but you can use a v.96 and a v.92 client together.

i'm working on it:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~lhelm/dual.gif

-Louie

prokaryote
09-17-2002, 11:19 PM
:cool:

Great! I'll try the two version method then. Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

prok.

jjjjL
09-17-2002, 11:23 PM
there are no links to .92 on the site. it's still here though:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~lhelm/sbust092.exe

-Louie

ColinT
09-19-2002, 02:06 PM
prokaryote:

Welcome! Thanks for blasting me out of 2nd place on the dailies:)

prokaryote
09-19-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ColinT
prokaryote:

Welcome! Thanks for blasting me out of 2nd place on the dailies:)

:D Don't mention it! I'm sure you could reclaim if you threw some of your resources at it.

Have advertised the project on our team's mathematical projects homepage (Team Picard). I think it'll pick up steam once the team aspect comes into play.

jjjjL,

Will the Contribution for an unaffiliated cruncher transfer to a team the first time that an individual signs onto a team? Maybe have it so that any contributions accumulated while a cruncher is unaffiliated go to the next team that they sign up to. This would mean that there should be a team option of "none" incase a cruncher decides to go unaffiliated for a bit. Just some thoughts.

Also, since the search space is bounded, is there a worst case predicted finish time given the current search rate?

Thanks,

prok.

ColinT
09-19-2002, 09:33 PM
Yes, I think previously done work should be credited when joining a team the first time.

Hummm. Team Picard. I remember you guys. I think there is some ridicully person there:) Maybe he come come by here again and say hi.

jjjjL
09-20-2002, 11:13 PM
yeah, i've posted before that i will setup the teams and the credits the way you describe.

-L

EDillio
09-26-2002, 10:58 AM
Does SoB support Dial-Up connection?

Will it auto dial when a work unit is finished to send and recieve? :confused:

jjjjL
09-26-2002, 12:22 PM
EDillio - network calls in the windows version are done using the winsock API so if your config auto-dials the internet "on-demand" then yes, SB would wait for a connection to be established, then try and transmit.

this behavior is similar to past and current versions alike.

in future versions, i expect to add a provision to retrieve more than one wu at a time for computers that are less frequently connected. i may even allow a provision for "sneaker netting" numbers, but i haven't decided the best way to accomplish this with my current framework. a more likely feature in the near-term is a "random" automatically generated block so that computers than can't connect can keep working.

-L

Darkness Productions
09-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Do you plan to have a GUI client for non-windows machines? I think it'd be cool to have one for Linux/BSD etc...

jjjjL
09-26-2002, 01:16 PM
I don't know GTK, QT, or any other windowing stuff for linux. :( I am also way too busy with skool-work to learn for the next few months.

I'd accept help if anyone is interested.

Alternatively, someone could ask my partner Dave (danorris@uiuc.edu) if he's interested. He was going to make a GUI *nix client but he hasn't made time for the project in the last 4 months. Maybe if users asked him directly it would interest him in the project again.

I don't want to marginalize Dave's role in the project. Without him, the project wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

The early version of SB is like a plane with no wings (v0.9.0).
The current version is more like a plane with wings glued on in flight. Dave built the plane-- I make it fly.

-L

alpha
09-26-2002, 02:09 PM
Does the client really need to refresh all its information EVERY second? It seems a little OTT to me. I don't know what to suggest if you keep it as a constant, perhaps you could make it configurable?

Death
12-11-2003, 05:50 PM
For next client.

Keroberts1
12-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I know this is obviousl what I'd like and whether or not its gonna hapen i doubt but it'd be nice to be able to cut stop a work unit and send progress so far back to the server. Perhaps it could expire test at the same time too to prevent people from abusing the ability.

Esquire
12-12-2003, 12:04 AM
waiting on duallies & ht capable

oh and sse

Death
12-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Death
For next client.

And Macintosh version.

Toobad.
There's a little difference between sysadmin and programmer... =(

poundsja
12-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Darkness Productions
Do you plan to have a GUI client for non-windows machines? I think it'd be cool to have one for Linux/BSD etc...

In another thread concerning the linux client, member Lagardo posted the following:

"The link was posted at the Ars forums a while ago:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~sgeier/code/sbwrap.html"

SBWRAP is a GUI interface to sb using TCL/TK. I've been using it for its original purpose, to keep the sb client running unsupervised on my dual Athlon system. But it does have a GUI interface showing the progress and estimated performance.

Keroberts1
12-13-2003, 04:43 PM
How about an option to d osecret tests while staying under your own name. Or as will soon be more relevant double check tests under your own name so you can recieve credit for it.

[DPC]Mobster
12-19-2003, 09:23 AM
I have one word for you guys: QUEUEING!

Running SoB on offline or dialup systems is virtually impossible now. There is a great potential market there for SoB!