PDA

View Full Version : With Much Respect

MAD-ness
09-23-2002, 09:26 PM
I hope we can continue the competition, the (primarily) friendly banter and, most importantly in my mind, the friendship between Free-DC and Ars Technica Team Stir Fry.

If this thread seems be out of the blue, the DF stats will make it clear what motivated this post.

I don't mean to brag, I definitely don't mean to dis-respect, and I sincerely hope I can express what I so want to say on behalf of myself and the team that introduced me to Distributed Computing, to a great community at Ars and to no less wonderful community at Free-DC.

I thank you for setting an example, as a whole, but specifically as the dominant and pioneering Distributed Folding Project team.

I thank you for almost making me lose hope, when the distance between us was so massive and the amazing production of Free-DC and thier shadow (KWSN!) somehow managed to ramp-up even further and the possibility of ever being able to compete at the top level appeared, atleast to me, to be shrinking.

I suppose this sounds mushy or melodramatic and I imagine that something I said will read differently than it was intended or someone will take offense for some other reason, but with the tension between the teams lately I really wanted to get over here before anyone else (the refusal of my post to even APPROACH and ending likely means that someone will submit a thread before this one) and have my say:

Free-DC is a class act. You have my respect, you have my friendship (so far as online friendships go and so far as you will accept it) and if were ever to participate in a DC project with any team outside of Ars, it would, without a doubt and whole-heartedly be with Free-DC.

Thanks Dyy'ryath for the stats, the benchmark scripts and all the other cool things you did for the project and for teams not even your own. Thanks to Ironbits, for a list of things that would turn into something resembling a pile of phone books (rather than the slighlty abridged version of War and Peace, which is what it is currently aiming for).

I promise to keep #1 warm for Free-DC until you guys come to reclaim it. This has all been a real blast.

Paratima
09-23-2002, 10:42 PM
:D I speak for myself and possibly others...

WELL SAID! Accepted in the spirit in which written. Your posts always seem well thought out.

Help yourself to a beer from IronBits' virtual fridge. :cheers:

Scoofy12
09-23-2002, 11:01 PM
I second the motion, here's to more friendly (and fierce :D ) competition in the future :)

IronBits
09-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Well spoken MAD-ness :)
Congratulations on the fantastic team effort over there!
Keep it up, lest ya wanna see our :moon: :p
:D
:cheers:

Jetta
09-24-2002, 06:28 AM
well said MAD-ness! I couldnt of said it any better! :) :D

pointwood
09-24-2002, 06:33 AM
I ditto Mad-ness' post.

Originally posted by IronBits
Keep it up, lest ya wanna see our :moon: :p I've already seen yours in the dressing room and it isn't something I want to experience again :scared: ;) :D :jester:

Richard Clyne
09-24-2002, 07:49 AM
/me wipes away the tear from his glass eye:D

MAD-ness
09-24-2002, 10:32 PM
I figured if I went on and on and on for long enough, everyone who was a bit wound up or agitated would fall asleep and any hostility would be avoided. ;)

I meant it though. Glad to see that we are still welcome here (though I ain't wearing no stinking dress, so don't even think of asking!).

:)

IronBits
09-24-2002, 10:35 PM
HAHAHAHA /me high fives Pointwood :)
:spray: ;)