PDA

View Full Version : Well its been awhile !

MTP
09-26-2002, 11:33 PM
Yeah I've been gone for few months. I have not the slightest idea about the current DC projects.
Looks like RC5-64 is over.
Also from the forums it looks like everyone has bailed on Genome as well.

Now I know this is a loaded question so I ready for all the sarcastic replies, but....................

Whats the best DC project right now for a dail-up person to run?? I believe I read that the new folding client also does the genome cliet but no longer caches for genome so that it out.

I did seti and to b honest really last interest last year.

I havent updated the computer either so I'm still runnning a Dual PIII 1G on the VP6.

Any pointers guys?

IronBits
09-26-2002, 11:58 PM
I'll start first then :D
Distributed Folding or ECCp ;)

alpha
09-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by MTP

Whats the best DC project right now for a dail-up person to run??

ECCp. The bandwidth requirements are almost nil. Though I may be biased :)

FoBoT
09-27-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by MTP
Whats the best DC project right now for a dail-up person to run??

ECCP109 no doubt about it, tiny upload , you can manually send once a day or whenever you feel like it, doesn't have to stay connected

alpha
09-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Also to note about ECCp, there is no work to fetch either.

MTP
09-27-2002, 06:07 PM
No offense, but that seems like a real corny project. Discovering eliptical curves? Sounds like we are helping a bunch of Jr. High kids do their geometry homework.

Whats the point?

Wasn't there a project working on the chaos theory? Mathmatical impropabilties?

Scoofy12
09-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Not so much that, as helping some company do their PR homework. and helping someone win some money. That's why i never really got into that or dnet, and preferred the bioinformatics/medical projects. at least it's doing some good, or has the potential to (that, and i doub't we'll be hearing from any LGMs any time soon :) ) That's why I like DF, although it's true that it's not terribly bandwidth-friendly at the moment (fobot's a bit burned out on the uploads!). Basically, you get about 700k of output per protein set, which is about an hour on my ~1Ghz duron. So you're looking at about 1.4 megs of upload per hour (did I do my math right? yow!). Does anyone do TSC anymore? that seemed like a good one.
It's true that the math ones have less uploads, but i never really got into them.

MTP
09-27-2002, 10:59 PM
That seems huge? Did they change something in the client or work units? I used to run 2 instances on the G@H cleint and wpould only upload every day. Don't think it was over a meg or 2 for both clients.

Yeah I not too big into the math projects either. SETI was fun but I got burned out doing it.

Bellbox
09-28-2002, 12:19 AM
Distributed Folding (DF) and Genome @ Home (G@H) are two similar but different projects. You may be confusing the two. ;)

MTP
09-28-2002, 12:25 AM
No, not confused. I never did the DF project and when I was doing G@H it was still under its own cleint software and not combined with F@H.

I ran 2 instances and like I said would upload results ever day or ever other day usaully and it would not be very large fiels I was sending back.

Dyyryath
09-28-2002, 03:12 PM
Hey MTP, good to see you back around!

MTP
09-29-2002, 11:12 PM
Glad to back :)

How are those video cards holding up for you D?

Dyyryath
09-30-2002, 12:58 AM
They're working out great! :smoking: