IronBits
09-29-2002, 04:26 AM
Here's the link: http://www.realvnc.com/index.html

Paratima
09-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanx.

Scoofy12
09-29-2002, 11:59 PM
Pop quiz for VNC users. Does anyone know of a way to get VNC for linux (or any other tool for that matter) to export Display 0 (ie the one that appears on the local screen) over VNC (as opposed to having a separate display) kinda like VNC for windows does? In other words, you would be able to control the mouse/keyboard remotely and see the same thing on the local monityr. There would need to be a client for win9x for this to work for me.
TIA :)

Edit: I checked out that x0rfbserver, which is supposed to do that. The source wouldnt compile for me (c++ compiler errors, and some other stuff), and the binary (after i futzed with my libstdc++ library links) fails with the error: Fatal error: Can't open display ""
If anyone knows how to make this work, or has an alternative it would be appreciated!

alpha
09-30-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Scoofy12

Fatal error: Can't open display ""
If anyone knows how to make this work, or has an alternative it would be appreciated!

You need to set the DISPLAY environment variable. Assuming this is :0, and you're using zsh or bash or something, an 'export DISPLAY=:0' should do it ('setenv DISPLAY :0' under csh/tcsh).

Scoofy12
10-01-2002, 12:38 AM
Ah... the reason was that i was trying to run it from ssh rather than the running x server so i didnt get the little gui configuration thing either.... now theres a strange problem: in the gui config, it doesnt seem to want to take any keystrokes. ie anything i type into a text field doesnt go, but if i type a key that corresponds to a button (like "a" for apply) it presses that button. odd... that, and when i try to connect to the sesson once it's up, my vnc client immediately says the connection was close, and x0rfbserver says
framebuffer->width: 640
framebuffer->height: 480
blockWidth: 32
blockHeight: 32
blocksX: 20
blocksY: 15
blocks: 0x80b4110
-> handleClientInitialisation
shared flag: 0

and then dies with no further ado.