PDA

View Full Version : Non-traditional Case

FireCracker
09-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Non-traditional Case

I feel the need to share how I came to have a Duron box in a non-traditional case.

I guess the place to start is at the beginning.

About a year ago I came into my computer/extra room and noticed that my Duron 800 was not running.
I tried to reboot, no video. I could see the power supply fan was running but nothing else. I have forgotten what I was crunching at the time. I was busy with another project and just left it set thinking I would look into it in a couple days. Weeks and months pass before I figure out the Power Supply just up and quit on me. By this time I had used the traditional case on another project.

So I am at the stage of a computer project where I just want to make sure all the parts work. I’m not interested in a fancy case or cooling or nothing. So I just plug everything together on my desk. And it all worked with the aid of a new PS. So I plug in my crappy old KVM (just the V works) and let it crunch for a couple days.

So I might have just left it there forever if my wife’s cat hadn’t jumped up on the desk and put his paw into the CPU fan. Scared the crap out of the cat but didn’t cause any damage on the CPU/Fan. Oh, didn’t hurt the cat either.

So after that incident I got to thinking it would make life better in my household if I wasn’t responsible for any fried cat found in the computer room.

So I went out in the storage room/garage and was looking for a small table I could put all the parts on and push it under my larger computer desk. I didn’t find a table, but what I found was just the thing.

I found at sometime in the past we had bought a small plastic three segmented bin on wheels. At the time it was perfect for papers and folders for my wife to use for a portable file cabinet.

Now this is one of those stacked jobs and I noticed without one of the bins it would fit under my computer desk just fine, even with the wheels! It is about the size of half of a laundry basket and made out of the same kind of plastic. It also has slots on the side like a laundry basket. Now that I think about it that is what it is. A small stacked up series of laundry baskets with an access opening on one side, on wheels.

So I just lay the MB in the top basket with the edge of the MB hanging off the edge of the basket to accommodate the little tabs on the bottom of the PCI cards. Set the PS along side of the MB and stand the hard drive up on its side in the corner.

Now this plastic bin business came with a shallow top to set on the top bin kinda like a lid. That is where I put the keyboard and mouse. You remember my KVM is only V.

Fast forward a month or two and I upgraded the 800 Duron to a 1.3 GHz Duron and am now happily crunching ECCP for Free-DC.

Just as a side note, the slots on the side of the bins provide all of the ventilation needed with just the retail CPU fan and I’m doing my part for household unity.

Just for a little while you can call me “Plastic Bin Man”.

FC

Darkness Productions
09-30-2002, 06:02 PM
What the hell? You let a cat into your computer room???????

Otherwise, nifty idea ;)

Paratima
09-30-2002, 10:36 PM
Pretty cool. Can you post some pix? :cool:

FireCracker
09-30-2002, 11:26 PM
Paratima,

Sorry, no camera, not in my budget nor is it required for crunching.

That is one reason I spent so much time describing what I was doing.

Maybe it will come out better next time.

FC

Scoofy12
10-01-2002, 12:57 AM
cool... one question... plastic is a great source of static electricity. is this contraption (or at least the mobo) properly grounded?

FireCracker
10-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Sounds like I need to backup to my wooden table idea.
Thanks for the tip.
FC

Scoofy12
10-05-2002, 08:56 PM
I think this guy (http://www.rm-r.net/~bri/casemod/) has you beat in the case/case-mod department:
http://www.rm-r.net/~bri/casemod/dscn2451.320.jpg