PDA

View Full Version : Server down for maintenance messages

runestar
10-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Hey Howard,

I've gotten messages at least 2-3times the last couple days from the ASCII client telling me the server is down for maintenance due to protein switch-over. This last one was shortly after 1400PST today (Tuesday).

It just seems to occur every some often so if its a fluke, its a reoccuring one. If I restart it, it talks to the server just fine and goes on its merry way...

Anybody else seen this problem?

Best,

RS½

wirthi
10-02-2002, 04:04 AM
Yes, I have seen it: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1318

The problem is, the error sometimes does not occur because the server IS down for maintainance, but because the client can't reach the server. I even got that message while I was offline.

I understand Brian wants this feature, but I guess there is a bug so this feature is used "too often".

runestar
10-02-2002, 04:40 AM
Now that the new backend is up and seems to be stable, Howard, will you be resolving this issue?

Its not a huge issue, more of a minor inconvenience... Its just a little annoying when you start it, and then you walk away and then come back and the computer is just sitting there with this message waiting for you. You do have to remember there is that delay before it starts going and often times we will switch to something else or do something else (PC or non PC related) then come back and check on it all the whiles totally oblivous that its sitting there. =)

Its a little funny seeing it now with the new backend. I don't remember every seeing it before the new backend, unless the server was actually down.

Speaking of maintenance, do we get a sneak preview of what maintenance you all will be doing tomorrow? =)

TTFN,

RuneStar½

Brian the Fist
10-02-2002, 11:36 AM
This occurs if your machine is unable to reach our server (times out) but it does reach our backup server. There's nothing that can be done about it, because the software thinks the server IS down since it cannot reach it, but yet it can reach the backup server. Perhaps you were just trying when the server happened to be particularly busy or something.

runestar
10-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Okay, not complaining here... I'm just curious, but I thought the new backend was suppose to take care of this? So just to satisfy curiousity (yes, I know... but satisfaction brought the cat back ;) , what would cause the server to be unavailable at that moment? Are we just hitting it just right between tasks, a brief burst of activity, someone tripped over the network cable, those damn students are playing global thermonuclear warfare on it again...?

TTFN,

RS½

Brian the Fist
10-02-2002, 06:14 PM
Most likely it is a little gremlin sitting inside your office/ISPs network switch, because someone forgot and fed them after midnight...

runestar
10-02-2002, 08:11 PM
fed the gremlins? I thought you said FEED the gremlins... no wonder the trolls were so cranky and the gremlins so happy...

RS½

Mikus
10-02-2002, 08:50 PM
I thought the servers were supposed to be stable. But just now an upload timed out without all my queued filesets being processed. The way I've set things up, I do a dial-up every time I want to upload. If there is a glitch with that upload, I have to repeat my procedure later (i.e., it means additional work for me).

mikus

runestar
10-02-2002, 09:52 PM
Probably caught the tail-end of the server maintenance... I just uploaded my stuff about 10-15 mins ago... try it again.

TTFN,

RS½