PDA

View Full Version : Any Word yet?

n7vxj
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Is there any word yet on when they are gonna release the official Client for OGRNG?

alpha
11-05-2008, 01:50 AM
I'd guess it would be when they have resolved most or all major issues with the pre-release.

Why can't you just run the pre-release? I don't think anyone here had any problems running it so far, myself included.

Brucifer
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm running pre-release (release candidate) for 32 and 64 bit linux. No problems and has been working great for both org-ng and rc5-72.

You might want to take a peek over at ARS, The Jet put up a post there that basically said "what you see is what you get" as the release candidates that are out there are about all that are being worked on. And that is because of a lack of qualified programmers/mathematicians for working on other stuff. No CUDA as they don't have any in-house cuda experts, so no gpu client development work. So it left things sounding like if more clients are needed then someone that has the skills and time to donate towards client development should get in contact with the dnetc team.

n7vxj
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
O.K., just started NG on the duallie.Once the X2 runs out of work on IR, I will switch it over.How are we looking in the stats?

alpha
11-09-2008, 04:47 PM
4th, but losing out to teams around us. (http://stats.distributed.net/team/tlist.php?project_id=26&low=1&limit=100)

alpha
11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
We're down to 5th with some teams below still outproducing us.

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm not showing up in the team yet, hopefully next stats update will update and fix that...

Digital Parasite
11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Will it take some time to get enough data for predicting an accurate end date or does it really look like OGR-26 is going to be smoking fast and finish in the spring?

alpha
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't think any estimate we have so far is going to be accurate.

Don't quote me, but IIRC someone said the average Gnodes per stub for OGR-26 is expected to be ~250. My average over ~1000 stubs done is 66 Gnodes per stub which is way off.

I thought they said OGR-26 was estimated to take a similar amount of time to OGR-24, which was 1572 days (4.3 years).

Digital Parasite
11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
I thought they said OGR-26 was estimated to take a similar amount of time to OGR-24, which was 1572 days (4.3 years).

A similar amount of calendar time or computing time? Because computers are much faster now than they were in the OGR-24 project so if it was computing time, it will finish much faster than 4.3 years.

alpha
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Ah, good question. From Bovine's latest .plan:

We estimate that OGR-26 will take much less time to complete than
OGR-25 and will probably be more similar to OGR-24, in terms of
computational effort.

You were right! :thumbs:

alpha
11-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Well we're still 5th, and yesterday we (just) managed to outproduce everyone below us, thus maintaining our current position.

We could definitely use a few more cores to keep things comfortable though. Brucifer, where did you disappear to? :confused:

n7vxj
11-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Well I got the duallie, and the X2on it.these WU's dang sure take a lot longer to go through than OGR25 did!

Brucifer
11-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Well we're still 5th, and yesterday we (just) managed to outproduce everyone below us, thus maintaining our current position.

We could definitely use a few more cores to keep things comfortable though. Brucifer, where did you disappear to? :confused:

I've been doing amd_users for some time and was doing ogr-25 with them. Didn't look like they were going to do any ogr-26 at first so I started running it here. However a couple friends started running it at amd_users after all so the team would be placing on the project. So as long as they keep crunching it there then I will with them. If they cool it, then I will too and return here.

alpha
11-16-2008, 05:46 AM
We hope to see you back some time. :thumbs:

We've slipped to 6th now and were outproduced by 3 teams below us. It looks like we could be losing some more places soon.

Brucifer
11-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Well in looking at the stats for a lot of teams, they just aren't producing at the same rate on ogr-26. Probably a lot of it is due to many people helping towards the end of ogr-25 and leaving their favorite mainstay projects for the temporary ending push. And others are helping repay friends and others for their helping the ending of ogr-25 so now it's the payback effort for them. And then too there are some other projects that have closings coming up in the not too distant future so people are helping on those. So I think it's pretty much a mixed bag of things that are resulting in the lower overall ogr-26 effort now as compared to the ending of ogr-25. And things will probably change too as a better grasp on the amount of work it will take to complete the ogr-26 project as it's still in the initial beginnings. Time will tell! :) But I have no doubt that as the project progresses that there will be a gradual but steady increase from FDC. :thumbs:

IronBits
11-16-2008, 03:04 PM
One PS3 does ~ 1.3T per day OGR-26 while doing 3,000 wus on RC5, at the same time. :)

Brucifer
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
One PS3 does ~ 1.3T per day OGR-26 while doing 3,000 wus on RC5, at the same time. :)

That is pretty phenomenal from one system!!! :D

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and save up.