PDA

View Full Version : OGR Stats

n7vxj
12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Whats going on with the OGR stats? It appears that they have not updated since the 13th.

Bok
12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
correct :)

It's on their side though. Can't see any info about an outage in the .plans either.

Brucifer
12-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Just a passing thought/comment as I read the notes above. I noticed your comment about "Fritz" the server, donated by our friend Fritz on another team's forum. And that the server Fritz is getting a bit long in the tooth and keeps having recurring problems as it's aging process continues. For a long time distributed.net was rock solid. Those stats were out there every day, regular as the renowned Swiss Watch. :) But we are seeing more and more stats failures that didn't use to happen. Well, also on another forum there is the ongoing session regarding feelings on the part of some that distributed.net should convert over to boinc. And while reading this stuff it occurs to me that several out there must be a bit clueless on the infrastructure requirements for a boinc setup for a couple projects the size of the distributed.net's effort.... and at present using that nasty old manual system we can't get regular stats for lack of a new stats server to replace one that was donated in the past. So I wonder if all those boinc fans are going to donate the boinc infrastructure.... maybe a cheap shot... but maybe also a little dose of reality for some. :)

gopher_yarrowzoo
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Yes some people forget what some of these projects are run on and it isn't some university / collage campus top notch computer server, it's sometimes donated, people donate lots of time and effort in running these projects and some were annoying but the betters ones out there and I could this one amongst them seem to give out a fair idea what's going on....

I crunch therefore I am.

Chuck
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
..... And while reading this stuff it occurs to me that several out there must be a bit clueless on the infrastructure requirements for a boinc setup for a couple projects the size of the distributed.net's effort....

Brucifer,
True that! :cheers:
Most are clueless to what the infrastructure of the server side is. It isn't until someone outright tells you, you have to do setup one, or your have to help debug one that it becomes obvious the load a BOINC server *cluster* must endure.

Edit: Their donations to 'that nasty old system' would be just fine, provided it has enough horsepower to run one of the many critical functions of a BOINC infrastructure, but I suspect it would do far better in the current infrastructure which we set our D.net watches by.

C.

Bok
12-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, I don't put myself in the category of clueless about the infrastructure and I was the main one having the conversation with TheJet regarding switching to BOINC. But mainly I was just interested in seeing if they were thinking about it. I'm agnostic on whether they do or not to be honest.

I like BOINC, I promote it and work with the developers in improving it, especially from the stats side (did that today as David Anderson put in a change to put out the CUDA coproc information into the xml files for hosts... :thumbs: ).

I'm not really that interested in running nonBoinc stuff and I'm willing to guess that the ratio of people running BOINC these days versus those not is quite high. Therefore I thought dnet would definitely gain from having a native BOINC client. Whether they have the infrastructure is a seperate issue altogether.. Though yes, I'm sure 'Fritz' could handle some of the services required (I think it was a P4 2.4 or something like that) but they would probably need new boxen to run in parallel anyway. I know dnet uses postGres as it's DB whereas BOINC uses mysql so that would be a change..

At the end of the day though I want the change from a purely stats driven ideology. I *hate* the fact that I can't get ALL stats from dnet.. Stops me sleeping :) :jester:

Bok

Brucifer
12-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Well that's what make you a "true" stats whore!!! LOL

My only thing there was that if they can't keep a stats server going at present and upgraded, then how would they ever manage a boinc setup. Not at all into whether one's better than the other. :) Though I'm not a boinc fan, I'd like to see a boinc client integrated into the system, and the stats re-done so that points from whatever client could be tracked in a central system. Then hopefully the boinc folks would be able to have their boinc points tracked in the world boinc cross project thing, and the folks like me that just like the regular system would be content too. Don't know if that's ever going to be possible or not though. ??? But I guess unlike you, I don't lose sleep at night over the ultimate stats system. :)

n7vxj
12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I just want someone to give the dang server a boot, to get it going again! Personally, I monitor the stats to see how my boxes are doing. That way, hopefully I can do some fine tuning to get them to do beter! Obviously, the Admins do not keep much of a watch of things, at least as far as I'm concerned!

Brucifer
12-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Yup, I watch them like a hawk too. Another day without stats.. :( What bothers me though is that they don't even post anything on the web site or nothing.

IronBits
12-16-2008, 11:07 PM
All this bickering and whining about stats... ;)
http://stats.free-dc.org/dnet/ogr/byemail.html (excuse the mess that yoyo made until Bok gets a few minutes to purge it)
http://stats.free-dc.org/dnet/rc572/byemail.html

Use the pproxy server, that's what it's for :)

And of course, for rc5 junkies, here's another one for ya.
http://teamstats.macnn.com/rc572/stats.php?page=a2&TID=26268&sort=StatsWeek

Chuck
12-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Stats aside for a moment if I may...

I don't think boinc is bad. I think it's a new, and eventually better way of doing the high volume computing we need. What D.net has now has worked reliably for HOW LONG ?

Respectfully, presuming that all know what is involved with the operation of a BOINC server including initial setup, pre and post processing of WUs.... once stable, it is definitely a great platform for Wide Area ASMP processing.

I personally like to use all the hardware I have as well as those with the CUDA configurations, but respectfully ask that we not sacrifice overall stability for a new feature.

We all know software has a hard time keeping up with hardware. That's been the rule for HOW LONG?

For now... (to cite an example) Eon is broken due to transport issues. BOINC offers a workable solution for that, so it makes sense to do it. For those projects which are stable, how about a migration plan ? Wouldn't that make more sense to all ?

Get the hardware technology, master the technology, then integrate the technology into the mainstream for all to use. Make sense?

I like stats too.... Anyone would be hard pressed to tell me they are really in it for the PURE science (except certain projects) when we look at our 'stats', argue over stats being down just because we can't see who is in 1st , 2nd, 3rd, ...... places. Come on gang... we do this for fun at OUR personal cost.... Stats are our reward and self measure of mastery of a technology in addition to whatever science we might be contributing to.

So, Yes... let's get the D.net stats server running again.. or a work around ( as posted) SOMEHOW! Someone, somewhere has something that can help the D.net folks.... Time, hardware, SOMETHING. I would send something if I could. I would donate time if I had it and D.net would permit it.

In a few months, I will have two machines that CAN be donated. They are already Dual CPU, Dual Core running 64 bit linux with Gigabit E-net! Should they go to FDC or to D.net ???

But push OGR to BOINC 'NOW' because the stats are down? That is how I am perceiving this discussion evolution. Is that logical?

Let's be true FDC.... 'The Best, because we are!'.

Respectfully,
C.

gopher_yarrowzoo
12-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Let's be true FDC.... 'The Best, because we are!'.

Respectfully,
C.

Amen Chuck :):thumbs:
I couldn't have put it better myself and I'm a stats squirrel, i.e one of those who actually help write the nice shiny stats pages we all love to see preferably with us as #1 or at least beating team "X"....

Bok
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
News from DPC is that they are currently doing a MEGAflush of OGR-NG... perhaps they broke the stats server..:)

They might even come close to completing the project once the flush is finished.... I'm sceptical about that part mind, but I would tip my hat if they did!

Bok

gopher_yarrowzoo
12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Poor Server - :stretcher :eek: if the :cow:'s have done that and if they have :scared: & :notworthy.....

Digital Parasite
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
They might even come close to completing the project once the flush is finished.... I'm sceptical about that part mind, but I would tip my hat if they did!

I'm sceptical too but at the rate things are going they could put a HUGE dent in the WUs so it might finish easily in January since the server is predicting Feb/Mar now anyways.

Brucifer
12-17-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah, that's getting a bit out in left field. Meanwhile another day with no stats comes and goes. :confused:

Chuck
12-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Respectfully to all,
How about someone who is authorized to represent FDC & knows who to email simply ASK if there is anything we can do to help ?

I realize that means I'll probably be 'nominated', and yes, I'll do it if asked but I would need to have someone give me (via pvt) the POC inside (like we had with Eon before LiJun completed his thesis and left the project).

C.

PS: I still have no trouble Upping my Proxy and getting all the WUs I want. I can get an entire day's worth without ANY trouble/hesitation from the server. The implication is there still remains work to be done. We all know that DPC can make a huge impact, they always have on any project, but they haven't sucked it dry like a few FDC'ers did on EON. Therefore, I doubt we are going to be left in the dust.

the-mk
12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
funny thing... stub space stats are working - http://stats.distributed.net/project/ogr_status.php?project_id=26

alpha
12-19-2008, 02:23 AM
The stats are back and almost fully up to date again.

Death
12-19-2008, 06:58 AM
can we have a manual update? pleeeeeeeeease?

alpha
12-19-2008, 07:05 AM
Oops, forgot to look for the DPC dump earlier..

It looks like the one man bucket dumped 7 million Gnodes and NoizyCows dumped 2.2 million Gnodes during the outage. Subsequently, we're now at 34.86% complete.

Brucifer
12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
What the heck are they running anyway???

Digital Parasite
02-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Something seems to be screwy with the OGR stats again. The last few days, the Free-DC stats (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=ogr26&name=462349Free-DC) have been only showing a trickle of stats for me but the official d.net stats (http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?project_id=26&id=462349) are showing more like what they should be.

Yesterday FreeDC said I did: 735
The official and what makes more sense to me is: 35,105

Right my my FreeDC total is: 1,672,561
d.net stats total: 1,707,666

Any idea what is going on?

Bok
02-10-2009, 06:44 AM
I think they are running out of sync. They updated yesterday morning if you look at the top right corner

OGR-26 - Free-DC Overview
Last Checked : Mon Feb 09, 06:42:47 2009 EST
Data Updated : Mon Feb 09, 06:42:47 2009 EST
Current Time : Tue Feb 10, 06:41:23 2009 EST

so haven't got yesterday nigtht's scores on them.

I'll adjust this today..

Death
02-11-2009, 05:10 AM
BoK, can you adjust OGR and RC5 stats updating time please?

OGR-26 - Project Overview
Last Checked : Tue Feb 10, 13:43:06 2009 EET
Data Updated : Tue Feb 10, 13:43:06 2009 EET
Current Time : Wed Feb 11, 12:06:31 2009 EET

Data shown reflects all blocks received as of 2009-02-10 at 23:59 UTC

There was another topic about this. UTC 2:30 will be nice.

Bok
02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
yes. They are not cron'd as such though, but in a loop. These are only once per day, but seem to have gotten well out of sync. I'm tryign to get them back into sync..

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-11-2009, 07:10 AM
*hands bok the crowbar*
That should help...