PDA

View Full Version : Electron Microscope III v2.0.1 (Update)

TheWeatherMan
10-17-2002, 09:29 PM
New Features and bug fixes:
New Queue.dat file Info Display
Fixed Extra Launch Command Feature
Fixed Problem with Launch Command Check Box
Fixed Genome Point Calculation
Genome data added to emprotx.dat file
Fixed Large Image Display for Genome
Fixed client core shut-down problem
Italian Language Support added
German Language Support added
Language change can be used without EM restart

Because the information in the queue.dat file is often important, I added a display window that displays the information. The only things not there are the start and finish time and date for each finished work unit in the file. I will try and add that some time in the future. The new window can be accessed by pressing the options menu button and selecting a box you are tracking. This enables the selection buttons for several things, the configuration file, the log file, and now the queue file. When you press the button (magnifying glass over paper) to display the new window, the default information will be of the current project being worked on by the client. Pressing the left and right arrow buttons will allow you to scroll through the data in the other queue information blocks. At any time you can press the Display Current W/U button to bring up the information on the current work unit. This makes it easy to get information you need to know if you have to track down work units you completed and sent to Stanford if there is a problem. A history of this information is also available if you select to save your stats info. This window just gives you a quick history of your queue.dat file for the current work and the previous 9 work units on that computer. This new window doesn't have language support yet but should in the next release.

There was a small problem with the extended launch commands not showing up when closing and reopening the options menu window. The info was there when restarting, but the variable that holds the commands was not initialized with the changes while in the options menu. That's fixed.

Also, there was a problem with the launch command check box clearing when going back into the options menu when using Win XP with Service Pack 1 installed. There has been a small bug that most VB programmers ignore and MS apparently fixed when they updated the XP OS. It's been there so long (years) it has become a feature we ignored. Can't any longer. That's fixed now also.

After talking with Stefan about Genome points in the Folding client, I have modified a formula that should give a good estimate of the value. It may not be exact so I started adding support for the Genome side in the protein data file. Currently the info in this file is only used when you create HTML stats pages. I am waiting to see how well the calculation formula works before I decide to cast it out and just change the file like I do with the Folding side of things.

Some of you may or may not have noticed that if you tried to view the Genome protein image in the larger view it didn't quite work as you would expect. It just displayed some garbage in the window. That is fixed now.

Now that the new cores are being used more, I have added support for shutting down all the cores, not just the Tinker core.

Two new languages are now supported, Italian and German. That now gives EM English, French, Italian and German. A Russian translation is being worked on right now and I hope it can be included in the next update. I also added a small extra feature that allows the currently selected language to be changed as soon as you put a check in the box. This allows you to change the language file at any time while EM is running without restarting EM. If you think that the word or words do not describe what something is or does correctly, please feel free to send me a comment along with an explanation and an example of what you think it should be. Some words used in the English version of EM are not used in other languages and don't translate easily. So far the translations have gotten around this because I provided a complete explanation for the odd slang use. In many ways it is a good thing that English is taught in most schools around the world. It would be nice if we had one language so some of our communications issues would disappear. For now, we will just muddle through this.

If you can translate English into your language and it isn't already supported in EM, please help out by doing this. I am still looking for Dutch and Spanish translations. I welcome any language support.

Thanks to everyone who have donated not only a few dollars to my web site project, but to supporting my efforts to make EM useful to everyone no matter what language is spoken by the user. Special thanks to Thomas Fourcade (French Translation), Roberto Cecchini (Italian Translation), and Jérôme Landgräfe (German Translation). Very nice work folks!

Get it here: http://www.em-dc.com

http://www.em-dc.com/images/latestem.jpg

TheWeatherMan
10-18-2002, 08:46 AM
It does appear that the queue.dat info has a problem displaying work units waiting to be sent... I'm looking into it. It's always something. ;)

TheWeatherMan
10-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Bug Report Update:
I have tracked down the glitch in the queue.dat file readout and fixed it.
The fix will be included in the next update.
I had Overlooked one tiny little thing... :rolleyes:
I hate when that happens. ;)