PDA

View Full Version : Client Enhancement Request

Darkness Productions
10-18-2002, 10:53 AM
Howard:

I know you had mentioned a fix for the Sig11 problem with the clients. I was wondering if you could add a flag that the client would accept that would tell it where to look for it's tmpdir, instead of always checking the $TMPDIR variable. Is this possible?

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
10-18-2002, 11:10 AM
I second the request. You enabled it to pay attention to the DFPTEMP variable, but editing the registry on over 100 machines just isn't working. The machines get "refreshed" frequently and this registry setting is lost. If the temp directory could be specified in a config file that DF would look at once when first started it would work a lot better for me. There are a number of machines that I can't run this on because of difficulties with Norton AntiVirus getting hit so hard by the temp files access.

Thanks for considering this Howard.

Ni! :cheers:

Brian the Fist
10-18-2002, 11:48 AM
M2Kguy - why can't you just set the variable in the foldit script - I dont see why you have to edit the registry.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
10-18-2002, 11:50 AM
My understanding is that the foldit.bat doesn't get executed when running the service. Does the batch file execute?

Brian the Fist
10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
I suppose it doesn't.
But you could put it in winstart.bat I think, or any number of other places like that too

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
10-18-2002, 12:59 PM
A secure installation of windose 2000 doesn't run batch files of any kind until a user logs in. This doesn't help a service get an environment variable. NT services get their environment from the registry. If DF were completely self contained and got all of the information to run from its own config files it would be much simpler to maintain.

I know, trash windose and all of our problems will go away. Unfortunately the software that needs to run at my corporation is all windose based.

Brian the Fist
10-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Secure installation of Windows? Isnt that an oxymoron? :eek:
Are you SURE you're not just trying to be difficult? :haddock: