PDA

View Full Version : returning n.

Firebirth
10-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Hi.

Is there any way, to manually give back n's - just making the research smoother; you see i've run some tests in various directories that I unfortunately deleted again; and I thought it would be a long time to wait for the 2 weeks to pass...

Mevs Tarje

smh
10-23-2002, 04:32 AM
Yes, it would be nice if the client had an option to unreserve, or quit testing (not the same as exit the client!).

I have two pc's which i want to abandon from the search after the current exponent is completed (simply because the machines can't be on 24/7 and i can't complete the larger numbers within 2 weeks).

I'll start running the client again when we change to a new N

priwo
10-23-2002, 01:56 PM
I have the same problem with an "old" n. I deleted the whole directory but after reinstalling SoB the client got the "old" n from cache. Where is this cache ? How can i delete the cache ?

priwo

jjjjL
10-23-2002, 09:53 PM
there is no way to unreserve work right now. i appreciate that you only want to make the seach smoother, but it isn't vital to the project right now. i'll think about something like that for the future.

the next client will solve the expire time problem by contacting the server from time to time to report progress (as long as you're connected occasionally)... i would also like to make it possible to reserve a few blocks at a time.

also, in a similar vein, people have been asking me about sneaker netting. it could be done in theory right now. linux and windows use slightly different caching methods.

w/ linux you can copy files directly. the "cache" file and the "zXXXXXXX" file can be moved from an online computer and put on another computer for processing. they will easily fit on a disk and all you have to do is copy the two files back to a directory with the sb binary in it on an online computer and run the file to have it upload results. if someone writes a script to help do this process, i'll post it on the website.

w/ windows you would have to copy the reg keys around with the "zXXXXXXX" file. in fact, you only really need to copy the reg keys to another computer to transfer it to the offline computer. when the block was done, it would need to be have the "zXXXXXXX" file copied back into the install directory of SB and then have the reg keys restored on the original PC before running the client to submit the work.

i think this would be a simple 3rd party utility to write if someone were interested. email me if you are interested and need info.

hope that helps the sneaker net hopefulls.

in completely unrelated news...
i am currently sieving k=33661 up to 1 trillion. should be done with that in a week.

i'm also writing a new factoring program that uses the pollard rho method to factor numbers even further. the benefit of that test is that it's more dependent on memory than clock speed so my computers with 1GB of mem will love it

-L

smh
10-24-2002, 04:33 AM
w/ windows you would have to copy the reg keys around with the "zXXXXXXX" file. in fact, you only really need to copy the reg keys to another computer to transfer it to the offline computer. when the block was done, it would need to be have the "zXXXXXXX" file copied back into the install directory of SB and then have the reg keys restored on the original PC before running the client to submit the work.

The easiest way is to export the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LhDn\sob\cache] key and copy the .reg file and the Zxxxx file to the other computer. Run the .reg file and start the SoB client

priwo
10-24-2002, 04:07 PM
thank you smh !

You solved my problem. I deleted the cache in the registry -> i got a new n from the server.