PDA

View Full Version : Open letter to Seti to express concerns about possible cheating

Aegion
10-30-2002, 01:29 AM
There have been concerns raised by the Seti community about possible cheating by certain individuals to artificially raise their production utilizing known exploits. There is current a thread on this subject on the Arstechnica DC forum, and a consensus has been raised that this issue warrents an open letter by team leaders to Berkeley. We would certainly appreciate it if Free-DC would choose to have a team leader sign the letter and also would be grateful for any suggestions individuals of Free-DC would have on the letter itself. The current draft of the letter can be found on this page of the thread. (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=8380951735&p=6)

IronBits
10-30-2002, 01:41 AM
Thanks for keeping us informed.

rosyboa
11-02-2002, 10:57 AM
SETI is as much about crunching the most units as it is about finding ET.

I crunch more units than some, but less than others. That alone does not make me any better or worse than any other member.

If I pass somebody in stats, eeeehhhhaaaa! If somebody passes me, congratulations.

Whether you process two units per week or 100, you are doing what you can to contribute to SETI. Be proud of that.

If you feel that you have to cheat the system, you are only impressing yourself.

Ego can only exist by thinking of the past or of the future. Stay present, and cheating becomes meaningless.....

Cats are Zen masters! :thumbs:

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-12-2002, 09:04 PM
All I have to say on the subject is WHY!!
Why do some individuals feel the need to CHEAT?
Oh look TLC or TDC are beating us lets boost our output...
Time for some phantom Units......
Those individuals are IMHO SAD f****rs, I myself have never attempted to cheat seti, all my units are hard earned with processing power I have available to me... which is 1 AMD K6-3-400 and when Im at work a P-III 766 both run the same client both have a different set of WU's (I make sure of that).

I've worked Hard over the time I've been here.... I started off in 1 team can't remember which, moved to TLC and finally here... cos this is a small team which I think is just about the right size and with enough units and members (hint, hint at some of the top members to maybe crunch a few more :crazy: )